No announcement yet.

Engine Hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if the lower rad hose is coled it would meen the rad is clogged. sorry to hear this. i never had this problem even sitting in stop n go traffic with it

Comment

Not a problem, I still love the car. Now to unclog the radiator... .. going to do some searching.

Comment

the rad can be opened and cleaned, but if you see that your rad has dents it's better to buy a new one.
        good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed1299 View Post
          Not a problem, I still love the car. Now to unclog the radiator... .. going to do some searching.
          i didnt replace the radiator so if its clogged i would replace it with a new unit if i were you.

Comment

Im going to check to see if it has dents tomorrow and hopefully can just unclog it, if not a new one goes in. Next I need to get my check engine light off.. I bet its my 02 sensor(s).
            Last edited by Need4Speed1299; 10-27-2008, 10:35 PM.

Comment

feel the four corners of your radiator after the car has been running, if you feel cold spots then it is clogged.

Comment

sorry to hijack but i happened to have the same problem.. my rad hoses are stiff and hot.. and the temp gauge red lines 5 min after driving the car.. radiator was changed by the previous owner less than a year ago.. do i need a new rad?

Comment

Fully bleed the system (procedure below). Then drive the car a bit and re-bleed. If there'a significant relase of air on that or subsequent bleeds, the cause of the overheats and hard hoses is a failed head gasket.

1) Using ramps or a jack get the front of the car 1' or more higher than
                  the rear. That will make the radiator and bleed screw the highest point
                  on the engine and facilitate removal of air.

2) With the bleed screw open, add coolant until no more air comes out of
                  the bleed.

3) Leave the filler cap off, or at least loose, and set the heat for max
                  temp and fan speed. Leaving the cap loose will prevent air that's still
                  in the system from causing a "coolant fountain" once the engine heats
                  up. Start the engine and allow it to warm up to operating temp. As it
                  warms up occasionally crack the bleed screw to release any air and top
                  up the coolant as necessary.

4) Once the engine is at temp bring it up to 2000-2500 for a few seconds
                  several times. Then crack the bleed until no more air is released. At
                  this point the heater should be throwing lots of hot air, which
                  indicates that the heater core is filled with coolant. You may have to
                  repeat this a few times to get all the air out.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I just replaced a lower hose in my cooling system and I drove the car around the block, the temp gauge went to 3/4 and the coolant container was boiling the water inside. I could see and hear the bubbles... Is that caused by the air in the coolant system?

Thanks!

BTW: I'll be trying the procedure above^^^ thanks for posting.
                    Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

I'm gonna bump this, as I am having practiclly the same issue, and the thread isn't old.

Cold lower hose, piping hot upper hose, piping hot bypass hose, heat is blasting well, new t-stat (thinking it could be a bad new one), and I pulled the radiator and checked flow, she ain't clogged.

Any more ideas? This is killing me....

Comment

Thread not too old for newbies to learn. What is the end of the story? What happen with your case, Needy???? I may have to do this thing in the near futre...
                        1997 328i - SOLD
                        1991 325is - SOLD
                        2002 325i - SOLD :(

Currently:
                        1991 318is
                        2011 328i xDrive
                        2017 Highlander - Toy Hauler

sigpic

Comment

you sure you put the new thermostat in the right way?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Working...
                          X