intermitant idle/start issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intermitant idle/start issue

HI all, due to being absolutely mechanically retarded I thought I would see if I could get some guidence here. My car is experiencing a strange problem, up until last week, about every couple of days you would hop in and it would crank but wouldnt start, my initial though waqs fuel pump, so that was replaced just prior to christmas and all was running well. until now. No it starts and idles fine 9 out of 10 times but then you can start it and it tries to idle but dies after a few seconds this also happens with foot to floor, makes no difference. I can then leave the car for between 15mins and an hour, start it again and its fine. I did quite a thourough search and found many things 'similar' but nothing the same. As I live in quite a remote area I was hoping to be able to point my mechanic in the right direction rather than just explain the probs (as he is not a BM Tech).
    Any advice would be great as I am clueless when it comes to anything mechanical,

Thanks in advance,
    Nick
    sigpic

More pics of your car or no help will be given. ;)

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
    ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
      More pics of your car or no help will be given. ;)
      hahaha there are a couple in general discussion in my 'hi' thread!
      sigpic

Comment

Fuel seems like an easy problem to blame but there are a few things that would keep your car from starting altogether... fuel is only one of them.

Is it getting spark when you crank it? That would rule-out a lot of stuff including ignition and your crank position sensor.

Comment

Appears to be getting spark okay. Happening again today, just idles and sounds as though it's running on 2 cylinders! Has new plugs, and don't know where to go from here, must be some electrical gremlin. Cranked it just before after an afternoon of non-idle and it fires up like a gem, does not help to find the problem.
          sigpic

Comment

Have you checked for vaccum leaks, TPS, AFM? Also make sure that your crank pos. sensor cable isn't rubbed raw by the belts.

How do I spell stress relief?:hitler:
            :!:Open Track Days!!!:!:

Comment

Originally posted by elsabor67 View Post
              Have you checked for vaccum leaks, TPS, AFM? Also make sure that your crank pos. sensor cable isn't rubbed raw by the belts.

Tried just about everything suggested over the past couple of days. took it for a drive today to get it hot so prob would occur (it did) played with a couple of things then ended up taking out rear seats to gain access to fuel ump, tapped the top, and fired first shot? This was only just replaced and all wiring looks to be okay? got me buggered.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X