Another cold start problem thread...HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another cold start problem thread...HELP

In the mornings to start (88 325is) I have to have the gas peddle to the ground and it takes a good 10-15 seconds to fire up. When it does I have to keep it above 2000 RPM to keep it from bogging and dying when I'm holding the gas it smells like im burning A LOT of fuel. Once I have done that for a good minute idles at 1000 and drives amazing even once its still fully warming up.

I replaced the coolent temp sensor #1, with no changes in the morning and the second on is for the gauge.

Also I was told plug wires are due by the PO. But he replaced cap rotor and plugs.

What else could be going wrong? I'm kinda stumped on this right now

hard starting on a cold engine could easily be as a result of intake leaks.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Check all vacuum lines, no cracks or soft spots.

Comment

ummm intake leaks cause a lean mixture. smelling raw gas indicates it's running rich or not burning the mixture completely. maybe try checking the wiring for the temp sensor at the ecu plug. also check your spark plugs are they getting fouled up? a spark plug with a temp rating that is too cold will not ignite the mixture properly in cold weather and cause the engine to bog down when u take your foot off the gas.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

If the mixture is too lean, there'll be misfires and thus the smell or raw fuel.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Bringing this one back since i have the same issues.

Prior to yesterday afternoon, not a single issue with starting, running, or idle.

I leave from work yesterday, and it starts fine, then dies immediately. Try it again, give it some gas, and take off. I didn't think twice about it.

Then this morning, I go to start, and it kept dying. On the forth start, i gave it more gas, and left. But the car sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders and i had the same raw fuel smell.

Any tips on what to look for when i tear into it tonight? Check plugs, wires, cap rotor, etc?
            turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
            Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

Still the same thing happening. About you needed plugs, wires, cap, rotor I would doubt that. Only because it would run shitty cold or hot with those going bad.

Comment

i am having the same problem with my e30 ... dealing with vaccum leaks

well ...

when i start the car ... the idle jumps iradically ... staying under 1k and then it boggs and dies ...

if i start the car ... and keep a little pressure on the throttle pedal ... and keep it over 1k but less than 2k .. hold for 20 seconds .. then release .... it keeps it idle at 800 ish ....

i have a misfire in my car .. sometimes the motor just likes to shake and die .... fuel smell is pretty bad ... it gets to the point that the engine acts as if its flooded ...

it will die and i can crank .. but there is no start ... and the smell of gas gets worse

so it could also be an injector problem ...

i just need to take the time to recheck everything .....

also i checked that my co2 was at .02 ... and its supposed to be around .07 .. so it could be afm problems ...

but like i said .. im am continuously trying to track down a vacuum leak .. somewhere!!! ...

Comment

Working...
                X