Engine and Transmission possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine and Transmission possibilities

Hey all, I know this is beaten to death but I just couldnt seem to find a clear answer. I have a 91 325i with a 5 speed out of a vert, not sure what year but I wanna say it was an 89. If I were to get a 325e, would my 5 speed mount up to it? I planned on swapping the 885 head over along with the ECU to make a 2.7i with possible boost in the future if that makes a difference. worst case scenario I can just open both engines and swap all the internals to the b25 block right? Thanks in advance for all the help!

If you have a Getrag 260 it will mount to either m20b25 or b27. The easiest way to tell difference between years and models is that the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) will mount on the bell housing for the early models. For late models it will mount to front of the engine on its own bracket. If you are running the Motronic 1.3 definitely use the front mount. Way easier to service.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Okay so it doesnt matter if I have an early or late Transmission or block, as long as I use the Motronic 1.3 and 885 head

Comment

Originally posted by klenahan97 View Post
        Okay so it doesnt matter if I have an early or late Transmission or block, as long as I use the Motronic 1.3 and 885 head
        Only reason to use 1.3 is to retain the front mounted CPS. With the head swap you may want to go full stand-a-lone or use a chip tune. Either way 1.3 would be your best bet.

Just build the MS kit for around 400 bucks and you'll be set for boost in the future. It's just simple soldering, don't let it intimidate you. Tuning would be the harder part; which is what we are here for.
        20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Originally posted by klenahan97 View Post

This should answer a lot of questions!
          20% Accurate

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X