• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak between block and head

Click image for larger version

Name:	384B2621-D4EA-4B78-9149-0F1C7D234804.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	9909318So I have a leak between the head and block between cylinder 3 and 4. I am fairly certain it’s the headgasket as I just replaced it and the brand was victor reinz. I am also getting an oil pressure warning so I tested the oil pressure and it was at 1 psi at idle when the car was warm and 4.5 psi when the car was rev’d to 4500 rpms. I am just seeing if the low pressure is being caused by the leak since the psi seems to be within parameters. Does any one have any ideas if something else is causing the low pressure besides the leak?
    Attached Files

You mean bar, not PSI.

Seems within spec, the oil leak does not affect those numbers because the leak is on the return (drain) side. Those holes just let oil flow from the head back to the pan. Replace the gasket with a BMW or Goteze gasket. Copper spray does not hurt, either.
    Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

I have the same leak. I have heard to use a BMW brand headgasket, BMW brand head bolts, check head and block for warping with a straight edge. Oil pressure at 4500 is fine, at idle I am not sure what the standard pressure should be.

Comment

Oil pressure is adequate, as a rule of thumb, you want at least 10psi for every 1000rpm up until about 60psi when the pressure relief springs in.

Unfortunately the VR and Elring gaskets tend to leak much worse than BMW or Goetze. I haven't had any issues with the aftermarket head bolts, just the gaskets.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
        X