No announcement yet.

Plugging everything back in after swapping motor and wiring loom into new shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugging everything back in after swapping motor and wiring loom into new shell

Hey everyone, I recently started the arduous task of putting all the wiring back together after swapping every component from a salvage '89 325is into the shell of an '84 325e (and when I say everything I truly do mean everything, only original parts from the e shell are the heater box and the tail lights). For those out there that have been through this process before, what were some of the head scratchers you came across? Unfortunately, 18 year old me decided to throw caution to the wind and unplug everything without labeling the plugs or taking pictures, something my 19 year old self is currently paying the price for. Most everything is going smoothly but there are a few plugs in the engine bay that look identical to each other and end up in very similar locations. Additionally, were there any bits in the interior you had to plug in before you could turn the key and start the engine (besides the ECU and fuel pump)? The problem spot that comes to mind currently is the three plugs that sit right below the engine diagnostic port (I think they are B030015 connectors) but I'm 97.3% positive that I will run into more issues as I go. Thanks!

Those would be the crank sensor and cylinder identification sensor (on #6 plug wire). I do a continuity test back to the ECU to check which is which (and always put a zip-tie on the CPS when taking apart). The other two 3 pin connectors in that area are the TPS and IAC. You could do a continuity test for those as well, but the lengths kind of give those away.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
    X