Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong clutch master cylinder?

Hey guys,
    in the middle of a 5 speed swap in my 325e and I have some parts for the swap that I was given with the purchase of the car. One of the parts included was a clutch master cylinder. Despite the part # on the box showing it fitting, the elbow for the hose going into the master cylinder won’t fit. From what I can find online, it seems like my slave master cylinder has an extra plastic ring where the elbow goes into the body of the master cylinder. You can find pics of the elbow and cylinder below. Notice the plastic ring on the inside of where the elbow inserts...any input on if I’m just being too weak or if it’s the wrong cylinder?

Also, I was given a 318 flywheel it seems as it is will only fit a clutch pad up to 8.5”...It also came with a 325 clutch kit. Obviously this combo will not work together. Am I able to use the 318 flywheel with a 318 clutch with my m20b27? It is an eta and I am not sure the 318 had the CPS’s in the bell housing like the 325e.
    Thanks!
    Attached Files

That's the old nipple that's broken off inside it.

The 318 clutch can work, but it's awfully small. You will need to use an m42/m50 starter to do so since the ring gear count is different on the m20.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      That's the old nipple that's broken off inside it.

The 318 clutch can work, but it's awfully small. You will need to use an m42/m50 starter to do so since the ring gear count is different on the m20.
      I thought it was a broken ebow as well however the plastic inside is soft and malleable just like another seal would be...starting to think it’s the wrong master cylinder.
      Also didn’t even think of the tooth count. Thanks, looks like I’ll just get the correct flywheel.

Comment

Does anyone happen to know the purpose of what is called the “dog plate”? It is item 11 found in the diagram below...why would something go between the clutch disc and the flywheel? Or am I misunderstanding the diagram Click image for larger version

Name:	82AC670D-2337-4458-B8D3-9A35655B4135.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	9925426
        Attached Files

Comment

There is only one master cylinder for all manual e30's. The 45° elbow is quite thin and malleable. They often are deformed and/or cracked when certain unnamed individuals go all "bull in china closet" on them. Use a little oil and circular motion to seat it using light pressure.

Twin mass flywheels have two parts connected with springs. Ignore it, only some late eta's came with the twin mass FW, early cars had a heavy single mass, later cars dropped a few pounds off the engine side of the FW, but are still single mass.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            There is only one master cylinder for all manual e30's. The 45° elbow is quite thin and malleable. They often are deformed and/or cracked when certain unnamed individuals go all "bull in china closet" on them. Use a little oil and circular motion to seat it using light pressure.

Twin mass flywheels have two parts connected with springs. Ignore it, only some late eta's came with the twin mass FW, early cars had a heavy single mass, later cars dropped a few pounds off the engine side of the FW, but are still single mass.
            Wow, it turned out to be what seemed like a plug to prevent stuff from falling inside the fluid line in. Got it out and the elbow in! Thanks!

Just to confirm, since early year eta models had the single mass flywheel and this is for 84-86 eta's, this clutch kit is for a single mass flywheel? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/z...1/applications
            This is the clutch kit that came with the car when I bought it. Thanks

Comment

That appears to be a dual mass clutch kit based on the stock photo. The DM FW has larger locating dowels than the single mass. If the alignment holes next to the bolt pattern has ~4mm pins, it's single mass, the dual has about 8mm pins.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Working...
              X