Upgrades & Head Gasket Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrades & Head Gasket Repair

My head gasket has given away on my 91 325ix. The rest of the engine is running strong. Things are wearing out after 330,000 miles. I like the car so will do the rebuild on it.

Since the head has to come off, I’m thinking of minor upgrades. My mechanic mentioned in the past of putting in Mustang injectors. I seem to remember reading something on here about that also a long time ago. I also remember reading in the same post about using a 5-series MAF on it with the swapping of the controls over to it. I’m thinking this and porting/polishing the head along with a rebuild. Are these sensible upgrades? What would you do in my case?

Leave it stock. Those "mods" don't do anything but make the car run like crap until the ECU can get it's fuel trims proper - unless you have a chip written for said mods, but even then, there's more than adequate fuel coming from the stock system. Our race car makes 180whp and runs on stock injectors/ AFM, the stock tired engine will be lucky to make 150, even with a fresh head.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I blew my HG a year ago and decided to replace the camshaft and rocker arms as they were pretty worn as well,I went with the IE HD rockers.
      Got the stock injectors tested and cleaned along with new tips, filters and seals. As well as all coolant hoses (genuine BMW) and fuel lines..
      1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
      1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
      X