Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RHD ITB Mounting Question

Hello E30'ers!

I have been making a lot of headway over the last few weeks with my 3.0L build. I have taken detailed photos of almost every step and I will post my progress in a week or so. I should be expecting to have my Touring completed in the beginning of July.

By the end of the week I should have my touring back from the collision shop to repair this.....

P1010683 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

A kind reminder to meat-heads who back up in 2-ton trucks while texting to please refrain from doing so. Instead of my E30 this could have been a kid.

Once finished at the collision shop, I am going to be bringing the wagon to my restoration shop and paint the engine bay. This is where things get interesting....

My car originally had a M40 and the air box bracket is not in the same location as it is on the 6 cyl. Also, I need to attach mounts for the late model expansion tank and LH fender mounted relays.

I am planning my entire build around ITB's which should be around for next winter. I only want to paint my engine bay once, and I am curious about the mounting of the Carbon air box. I cant seem to find detailed photos showing me if it has a support on the original air box rails.

My hope would be to shave it completely and build a custom 3" tube from a filter in the front of the LH fender too the elbow by the intake. I need to attach a bung for the IAT sensor as well.

I live in a warm climate, but a rainy one here in British Columbia. I wont drive this car for the winter months, but I do want to use it when I please in the spring summer and fall. I have heard rumours of a filter being a significant risk in that area of the engine bay due to precipitation entering the air intake. Have you fellas experienced this? If so, is there a solution worth mentioning while excluding the factory air box?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

fullsizeoutput_2ec by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

rain sock/air filter sock.

EXPANSION TANK BRACKET part no. for late model mount
    17 11 1 719 190
    sigpic

Comment

the airbox is wholly supported by the engine. there is no additional support required. This means the stock airbox bracket is not required
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
      X