help - leaking valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help - leaking valve cover

I put a new valve cover gasket in a year ago, and now it's leaking. Any tips on leak-free installation of a new one?
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

I've been reusing valve cover gasket for 2 years now, and still not leaking... Did you replace little half moons on sides of rocker shafts? are you over tightening valve cover nuts?

Comment

I put some RTV (a little) on both the rounded parts of the half moons and the parts that touch the VCG.
      -P

Moosehead Engineering

Comment

I've had a lot of problems with aftermarket VC gaskets (especially the ones with the printed seal stuff on them)

I know that the OEM is pricey, but I just don't have any leaking problems when I use them.

And do replace the rubber R/S packing plugs, again the OEM ones don't leak.
        I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

OK, I bought a $$$ OEM valve cover gasket and plugs from the dealer. The gasket is this grey waffle-faced jobbie with tons of tiny little sharp burrs all over it. The burrs do not appear to be deliberate - looks like bad QC at the factory. It doesn't look like it would seal well at all. Is this normal, or did I get a bad gasket?
          "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

It will be fine. Be sure to throughly remove any old gasket material and torque the cover nuts to spec, working from the center out.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Isn't the Elring Klinger brand from Pelican the same as OEM? Grey waffle style I believe. I'm going to change my weeping old gasket when I paint my cover this weekend and was just searching to see if anyone else had this parblem.

Comment

you want the gasket with the sillicone bead built into it. I can't remember the brand.. it's either goetze or elring. Whatever bavauto sells. You can reuse it about 4-5 times before it needs replaced.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That's the Victor Reinz one that's on my car now and leaks.

Comment

Working...
                  X