Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Injector issue or multiple issues?

Hi All

Noob here with a question. I've lurked on here for a couple of years and have been able to solve most problems with a search, but had a question that I couldn't find specifics to. A few weeks ago I was driving my e30 (1988 325is) and the car stalled going around a corner. This was after a 45 minute drive. I pulled over and the car immediately turned back on, but ran poorly the way back home. It was like it had lost half of it's power, it also had a small misfire when I let off the throttle. I did stomp test and got the 1222 code. Initially I thought it could be an O2 issue, especially considering that it happened after a longer drive. The next day I started the car and had absolutely no issues. Ran perfect, as if nothing happened. Again I thought O2. The next day I tried turning the car on and it was as if I had lost fuel pressure. The car eventually started and for the first 30 seconds or so had an idle surge between 400 RPM-900 RPM, ran very rough, then stabilized. The next time I started it, it turned over with no problem. A couple days later, it was like it lost pressure again. It start up eventually and ran rough for a minute, stabilized. As of now, it hasn't been difficult to start in a couple of weeks, but it does tend to surge at start-up for a few seconds and then level out. It occasionally feels like it's about to stall as I come to a stop too. Not all the time, but here and there. Right now I'm guessing I have a leaky injector? The reason I say this is that in the last 500 or so miles I have done the following: New battery, new ground cables, new TRE 255 fuel pump, new fuel filter, new fuel pressure regulator, new FPR vacuum hose, new timing belt, water pump, cleaned the throttle body and idle control valve. The valve seems okay and the air filter is clean. Fuel lines look good, and fuel pressure appears to be in spec when running. I did not keep the pressure gauge connected after shut down to see if pressure does in fact drop, but that's guess based on the fact sometimes it won't turn on without pumping the gas while starting. Prior to buying the car (less than 2,000 miles ago) the PO had replaced the radiator, ignition coil, cap/rotor (they looked good when I changed the timing belt), plugs and wires. I'm going to switch my fuel pump relay out tonight to see if that does anything, but considering I seem to be losing fuel pressure, the only thing I can think of it being at this point is an injector. I was going to wait until I had lost pressure again and see if priming it a couple of times helps it to start easier as way of seeing if the injector was bad, but it's been starting right up recently. Considering the 1222 code and the rough start/loss of fuel pressure, could both be caused by a bad or leaky injector, or am I looking at multiple issues?

Huge text wall, but ill say a leaking injector is not going to make it stall, even one bad injector wont make it stall, run rough but not stall as an 6cyl will run on 5 and just sound like a WRX. my guess will be ICV, AFM, bad wiring in harness
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      Huge text wall, but ill say a leaking injector is not going to make it stall, even one bad injector wont make it stall, run rough but not stall as an 6cyl will run on 5 and just sound like a WRX. my guess will be ICV, AFM, bad wiring in harness
      I know I heard and felt the ICV "buzzing" the other day. I unplugged it when the car ran to see if that made a difference, and it ran worse, so I figured it was doing it's job, but could be wrong. I didn't do much on the AFM side or checking wiring. I'll dig in to testing the ICV, AFM and wiring tonight when I get home. Thanks!

Comment

i'd try to borrow some known working units, testing is not always conclusive.
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
        X