T belt install issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T belt install issue

Sorry to bother you guys, I’m having an issue getting my t belt on my 91 325iX. I route it counter clockwise off the crank to the intermediate shaft, both can and crank at TDC in line with timing marks. But when it comes time to slip over the tensioner it’s like I’m a tooth away. The only thing I’ve noticed is my tensioner seems to tap off the water pump. Both of which I ordered from ecs tuning. Any info you guys may have I would greatly appreciate it.

thank you,
    Terrence

did you lock the tensioner in the fully compressed position?
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Yes I did. Also thank you for the quick response. You can actually see where there is still room for the tensioner to bottom out essentially but it smacks against the water pump.

Comment

thats normal you cant normally get the end of the slot to hit the bolt. Normally the last thing i do is get it on the cam gear a mm around the whole thing rather than do the tensioner last. IIRC you cant fully put the belt on the cam gear (full width) and get it over the tensioner.
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Ok, that makes sense with the tensioner. So my question is do I want no slack on the belt from the oil pump to the cam? Or do I want no slack on the back side (passenger side) of the belt before I let tensioner go?

Comment

I got it on! Thank you for your response being so quick man. I really appreciate it. 2 clock wise cranks and it’s in time so I’m happy.

Comment

Originally posted by T81Houston View Post
              Ok, that makes sense with the tensioner. So my question is do I want no slack on the belt from the oil pump to the cam? Or do I want no slack on the back side (passenger side) of the belt before I let tensioner go?
              good to hear you got it on. for completeness for others doing this the belt from crank to oil pump drive and then to cam gear should be taught so the correct tooth on the belt matches the cam gear tooth to maintain the correct phasing between the crank and gear.

Comment

If I’ll be 100% with you, I tore this down piss ass drunk. In my old age when I get the chance to hit the garage and the wife and kids are inside I take advantage of a drink or 8. I actually do this for a living but on Hyundai and Kia. But my real passion is Honda’s. Haha sorry. But this e30 is probably one of my most favorite cars ive owned out of the probably 30 cars I’ve owned.

Thanks again though for your help. It means a lot to not hear someone say “google it”.

Comment

Working...
                X