How difficult is it to rebuild an M20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How difficult is it to rebuild an M20?

Just wanted a few comments on how hard it is to rebuild an M20, currently Im suspecting that my head gasket is blown but still not quite sure, but apprently its been done once before and if the heads fine and the engine is cracked welp looks like im gonna need a new block. So my question is how realistic is it for me to rebuild an m20 engine for the first time

This really depends on what you have for tools, space, time and money. But I think for most 'garage level' mechanics it is fairly doable if you set aside some money for a machinist, a few months in the garage (life always gets in the way), and maybe a couple hundred bucks for tools you might not already have.

Cheaper to buy another used M20 from somewhere though, so I would only recommend it if you are looking for both the experience and a fresh engine.

Comment

Originally posted by JehTehsus View Post
      This really depends on what you have for tools, space, time and money. But I think for most 'garage level' mechanics it is fairly doable if you set aside some money for a machinist, a few months in the garage (life always gets in the way), and maybe a couple hundred bucks for tools you might not already have.

Cheaper to buy another used M20 from somewhere though, so I would only recommend it if you are looking for both the experience and a fresh engine.
      Im actually a professional BMW dealer tech but im still relatively green so I still dont have the complete knowledge of building engines entirely, but i definitely have the time and the tools

Comment

Originally posted by Rockardo View Post

Im actually a professional BMW dealer tech but im still relatively green so I still dont have the complete knowledge of building engines entirely, but i definitely have the time and the tools
        I doubt you would have any issues then - the M20 is not a very complicated motor. My build thread is kicking around here somewhere, and obviously I didn't rebuild a stock motor, but for reference this is the first motor I have ever built and it seems to have worked out fine. IMO if you take your time with it there is no big difficulty at all.

Just make sure if you are working with older parts/reusing as much as possible you have access to a decent set of micrometers, and be prepared to replace stuff if it is out of spec. I.e. maybe after tearing down and measuring you find you need replacement pistons... so build cost and time will increase accordingly. If you are able to handle that then there shouldn't be any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by JehTehsus View Post
          I doubt you would have any issues then - the M20 is not a very complicated motor. My build thread is kicking around here somewhere, and obviously I didn't rebuild a stock motor, but for reference this is the first motor I have ever built and it seems to have worked out fine. IMO if you take your time with it there is no big difficulty at all. Just make sure if you are working with older parts/reusing as much as possible you have access to a decent set of micrometers, and be prepared to replace stuff if it is out of spec. I.e. maybe after tearing down and measuring you find you need replacement pistons... so build cost and time will increase accordingly. If you are able to handle that then there shouldn't be any issues.
          Well that great to hear, I definitely do need to buy myself a good set of micrometers. I guess I should also be in good hands since I also got the Bentley bible on hand lol

Comment

Read Das Beast for a good "how to". We knew zero about the M20 when starting and built a race engine. Some tips:

Bag and tag everything
            Take lots of pictures
            Clean the living crap out of everything
            Get a copy of Bentleys
            Add a REALOEM with your VIN to your Cell phone. Use it often
            Don't buy "rebuild kits". Study REALOEM, it shows everything
            Replace anything rubber
            Replace the stock intermediate shaft timing gear with a sintered gear (BMW P/N 11311717398)
            Plastigauge the main and rod bearings
            Clay the pistons during assembly to check valve clearance
            Zip tie the spring closed when installing the bitch tube, then cut the ties
            Take off all the shifter bits before you pull the motor
            If rod or main bearings don't move freely, they're WRONG. Check your parts
            Pay close attention to the timing wheel marks on the head and crank cover
            If the crank doesn't turn over easily with a socket, start over. You bent all the valves
            For added fun, balance the rotating assembly with a small scale
            Porting and polishing the head ports is pretty easy if you're patient with a die grinder
            HD rockers and better valve springs are a good, inexpensive upgrade
            As long as you're rebuilding it, why not stroke it to 2.8L? Uses off-the-shelf parts
            Don't hot tank the block. Intermediate shaft bearings don't like it
            Don't try and pull the intermediate shaft bearing
            Last edited by dvallis; 12-27-2020, 10:37 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff
            "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
            2002 E39 M5

Comment

I recently rebuilt my M20b27 into a "Stroker" motor and the biggest headache that I had was chasing down all the small vacuum leaks. This motor hates vacuum leaks. I would invest in a smoke tester to ensure everything is nice and sealed or use one from your dealership.

Comment

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
                Read Das Beast for a good "how to". We knew zero about the M20 when starting and built a race engine. Some tips:

Bag and tag everything
                Take lots of pictures
                Clean the living crap out of everything
                Get a copy of Bentleys
                Add a REALOEM with your VIN to your Cell phone. Use it often
                Don't buy "rebuild kits". Study REALOEM, it shows everything
                Replace anything rubber
                Replace the stock intermediate shaft timing gear with a sintered gear (BMW P/N 11311717398)
                Plastigauge the main and rod bearings
                Clay the pistons during assembly to check valve clearance
                Zip tie the spring closed when installing the bitch tube, then cut the ties
                Take off all the shifter bits before you pull the motor
                If rod or main bearings don't move freely, they're WRONG. Check your parts
                Pay close attention to the timing wheel marks on the head and crank cover
                If the crank doesn't turn over easily with a socket, start over. You bent all the valves
                For added fun, balance the rotating assembly with a small scale
                Porting and polishing the head ports is pretty easy if you're patient with a die grinder
                HD rockers and better valve springs are a good, inexpensive upgrade
                As long as you're rebuilding it, why not stroke it to 2.8L? Uses off-the-shelf parts
                Don't hot tank the block. Intermediate shaft bearings don't like it
                Don't try and pull the intermediate shaft bearing
                A few comments to the above.

Replace the cam gear to a sintered unit as well.

Get the head decked, check for straightness (make sure the cam spins freely in the bore with the head off the block and the rockers removed)

I did guides and a valve job on mine. Highly recommended. New guides also prolong the life of your new valve job if you chose to do one.

Getting new rocker eccentrics helps with valve adjustment later on, and is generally recommended, but is not a requirement. I reground mine using a toolroom surface grinder and a spin fixture, but these are tools many smaller machine shops don't even have.

A 2.7/2.8 build is great if you desire the goals of that engine. Understand that without a seta rotating assembly or a decked block, some undesirable conditions occur. You lose thermodynamic efficiency from a technical standpoint.

Stock head bolts may not be reused, but metric blues are a good replacement for the occasionally NLA head bolts.

Do not change the shape of the ports unless you understand the mistakes you can make easily. In many cases, you can negatively affect certain areas of your powerband if you go nuts. I ported my head, but it was composed of mostly blending the bowls, seats, and guides.

Retorque head bolts/studs after a few hours of run time.
                Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Working...
                X