Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 2.9 Stroker and machine shop headache

Hey everyone,

Putting together a 2.9 stroker kit with the Mahle pistons from IE and M52 2.8 crank. Started ordering parts last spring to get things going. Next up was finding a machine shop to bore/clean the block and replace valve stems and seat the valves. Checked out 2 places. The shop I chose was going to cost around 40% less than the other. Well of course that turned out to be the wrong choice. 6 months later and excuse after excuse the guy finally gets around to finishing the work. Picked everything up last week and I go to start putting the head together last night and I discover this fuckery.

First I noticed the edges of the valve stems are just mangled. Rough sharp edges on most if not all of them. How does that even happen!? Then I flipped the head over and notice these metal shavings that have fallen out of who knows where. It's been years since I have had any engine work done. Back then my dad was still alive and he knew his shit. This doesn't seem normal. So my question is how pissed off should I be about this? Should I demand my money back from this guy or just blow out the head and sand down the rough edges of the stems and just move on?

Thanks guys. I will try and document the rest of the build from here

Oye, thats quite a pain... definitely put the shops on blast so others dont get stuff with them!..

ForcedFirebird is the go-to guy for this swap. I think you will be quite happy when its all said and done, assuming things are completed properly
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
    X