Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"other swaps"

Since this sub-forum is titles m30 and other swaps,
    I wanted to get some I puts on non BMW motor swaps, I've done plenty of reading and I have seen LSx swaps, 5.0 swaps, sr20det swaps newmans rb26det swap, and 1/2jz swaps.
    And guys look, I'm not a newb or a ricer, I love the e30s for what they are, classic, basic, great handleing, balanced cars. I really want to do a heart transplant and can't seem to fond any good BMW solutions. My car has a m20b27 now, and cheapest swaps would be m20b25, or m42b18, BUt they are no where near the power outputs I want,

I want 300-350 USEABLE wheel horsepower, and I know it can be achived in the m20b25 or through the route of a stroker motor, or the famous m50/52 s50/52 but that adds more wieght to the front end of the car then I would like to add, and even then it pretty much requires that the motor is completely rebuilt and set up for a turbo (which I know is gonna be needed for what I want to achive anyways) but the cost of the swap just went up even more.

What is the best way to go?
    Turbo m42?
    Turbo m20? (really don't want to go with a single overhead cam 2valve per cylinder motor)
    sr20det? ( 1800 bucks for motor tranny ecu harness turbo etc... All aluminum makes 210hp stock and tons of aftermarket to make 350hp easy and cheap.)
    4g63 ( makes tons of power for cheap, alittle heavier then the sr. Motors can be had cheap but some work to be done to get a rwd setup for it)
    ?
    ?

What are some othe options of lightwieght hp?
    And I'm looking for something small lsx swaps are still light but really mess up balance still and would be a pita to work on, huge motor in little bay!

I dunno a 2.7 bottom end and the 2.5 top end, with stand alone could easily make 300 wheel. BMWSOB had a similar setup with stock internals and was putting down 400 wheel hp and tq.

Can pick up an eta block for da cheap.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Anything that isnt bmw will be more expensive if you think of all the custom fab work.

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by slow95tsi View Post
        and I know it can be achived in the m20b25 or through the route of a stroker motor, or the famous m50/52 s50/52 but that adds more wieght to the front end of the car then I would like to add
        Euro M52 is a lot lighter than US motors. I think you guys had an issue with those lighter blocks and sulphur in your fuel, though. I know the Euro M52 is getting really popular out here for use in track cars - more grunt than an M50 off the bat, but less weight than an M20.

Originally posted by slow95tsi View Post
        And I'm looking for something small lsx swaps are still light but really mess up balance still and would be a pita to work on, huge motor in little bay!
        You have too many conflicting goals in my opinion. 350 cheap rear-wheel horsepower that is easy to work on... Righto.

LSx swaps are lighter than a lot of turbo 4cyl swaps because of the extra weight of the turbo, intercooler, etc and how high a lot of that weight sits. Sure, it's a tight fit for the LSx but you can get them sitting back nice and tight against the firewall, plus if its a track car ditching power steer and air con liberates a lot of weight forward of the axle line.
        Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Any particular reason you need "300-350 usable horsepower". What are you going to do with the car?
          $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Comment

I know you said 'other than bmw', but I'd LOVE to see a 324td built.
            - skipping the E36 generation completely -

Originally posted by Stephen
            Alot of newer cars do nothing for me

Comment

while 300-350 is not an un-obtainable goal, it does seem a little unexperience opinion. nothing demeaning here, but have you ever driven or ever rode in a 350whp car? i could see looking for a certain 1/4 mile time, or a desired lap time around a track, but whp numbers just seem like good ground for making your e-penis larger.

now on to your choices.

LSx - good choice for useable power and torque, but bend over for the low mileage engine or maint will end your bank account fast

rb26 - big big big $$, i cant stress this enough. a huge cool factor, but no where near "cheap" which seems to be your goal

sr20 - good engine, but over 300whp is a big cost bump, it takes big money to make your 350whp goal

1jz - crap, dont ever buy one

2jz - expensive, cool, but at least domestically available.

4g63 - interesting choice, great aftermarket, but transmissions become an issue. go with the sr20 before this

honestly bmw engines are probably your best bet. OEM stuff is always easier then fabbing everything.
              Now look, I am not evil. My loan officer said so.

Comment

Originally posted by thearkitekt View Post
                while 300-350 is not an un-obtainable goal, it does seem a little unexperience opinion. nothing demeaning here, but have you ever driven or ever rode in a 350whp car? i could see looking for a certain 1/4 mile time, or a desired lap time around a track, but whp numbers just seem like good ground for making your e-penis larger.

now on to your choices.
                I've had 300hp+ daily drivers. It's nice to have the power there when you need it and you do have control over the power with your right foot. It's no e-penis thing...

Someone brought up a 324td. That would be cool to see!
                Last edited by JasonC; 02-14-2010, 09:55 PM. Reason: right foot left foot....lol

1992 BMW 325iC
                1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                  I've had 300hp+ daily drivers. It's nice to have the power there when you need it and you do have control over the power with your left foot. It's no e-penis thing...

G'day mate!

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by thearkitekt View Post
                    1jz - crap, dont ever buy one
                    Reasoning behind this?
                    Pork Hunt Motorsport

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                      I've had 300hp+ daily drivers. It's nice to have the power there when you need it and you do have control over the power with your right foot. It's no e-penis thing...

good deal, just making sure you knew what you were asking for. i hear all the time 'i want 500whp' without a clue to what that actually means.

i say go bmw engine, but if not i always like the 2jz idea. tons of wheel spinning power, as well as room for growth

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post
                        Reasoning behind this?
                        ive seen nothing but problems in many of the 1js ive seen installed into serveral different cars, from supras, to 240sx, they all just seemt o have problems. and lots of maint for what you get

edit: to elaborate, this is inside the usa, where we never had that engine stock in any car. everyone has to be imported which is always questionable. the 2j was available however, so i always tend to lean more on that engine from the toyota family.
                        Last edited by thearkitekt; 02-14-2010, 10:09 PM.

Comment

We also have to import all the 1JZ and 2JZ engines but people out here are fairly used to pulling the sump & rocker cover off, checking bearings and top-end for gunk. It's a sad fact that the japanese seem to believe oil changes and engine maintenance are for other nationalities...

Still, doesn't change the fact that with a little caution and prep, a 1JZ is a brilliant motor. It's not anywhere near straightforward in an E30 and adds a huge amount of weight over the front-end (like the 2JZ). If weight over the front-end is a concern (which it should be unless you're building a drag car) the JZs aren't really suited to the E30 chassis.
                          Pork Hunt Motorsport

Comment

M20B25 with stock internal

ARP studs,, another gasket ..

TURBO ,, and you decide to use custom or oem manifold ,, with minor modification and you are dead easy 300-400 ps on 1-1.5 bar i would reccomend a bigger radiator

VEMS ecu and you are flying,,

torque is 400-500nm

the cheapest way IMO,, and blinding performance in straight line ,,

also you get the most value /perfomance for every penny spent
                            Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
                            ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
                            E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

I'll take your M20 turbo and raise you an M30 turbo for easy EASY power and huge torque--350hp is child's play for that motor, most likely with 400+ftlbs to boot. You've probably heard of the swap, just throwing it out there because nobody's mentioned it yet.

Also, Iain you are most likely talking about the alloy block M52, yes? We had them here in the US too (E39s and Z3s) but I believe the sleeves were steel. Still, significant weight advantage.

Comment

Working...
                              X