Tranny Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny Question

I have a question I'd like a straight answer to without any bullshit along the way.

I'm planning on using my getrag 240 to bolt up to my m30b34. However it's needs a new clutch, pressure plate, etc. I want to buy a new clutch kit for it, but my question is, should I be buying a specific pressure plate/clutch or anything else to help the tranny handle the torque/hp from the new motor? Or will the stock clutch kit suffice?

Anybody here using a getrag 240 on their m30 having any issues?

your really a woman?

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

I was under the impression that the g240 wouldn't bolt to the m30. Different bell housings. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
      $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Comment

I want to say the same. I don't think the 240 bolts up to the M30.
        Slicktop City!

Comment

Yes, the early 318i trans in fact does mount up, but the real question here is why do you ask, you are gonna go and do whatever you think you should regardless of what we all say to you anyway.

(I'd use s14 performance bits...)

Comment

The m30 makes double the hp and torque of an m10. So no, a stock m10 clutch assembly isn't a good idea Get the e28 M5 or early 533i clutch/flywheel/pp assembly (same p/n's)

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
              The m30 makes double the hp and torque of an m10. So no, a stock m10 clutch assembly isn't a good idea Get the e28 M5 or early 533i clutch/flywheel/pp assembly (same p/n's)
              Well I realize it will most likely wear out the clutch assembly faster than the M10, but the question is how long will it be before the m30's torque wears it out and it needs replacing? I'm sure there's somebody out here that's done it and has the knowledge. The reason for using my getrag 240 is because the tranny that came with the motor is fucked beyond belief. Rather than shelling out for a new tranny I'm making use with what I have.

Thank you for your straight answer, I appreciate it.

Comment

kronus and I talked about this many times, IIRC, he said some of the Finland/Norway/Sweden guys even run the 240 with tarbo's.

Comment

didn't otis runa stock 240 with a stock clutch on his 318?

and just to clear the confusion. every m30, s38, s14 and m10 all share the same bell housing and can interchange transmissions given that the pressure plate, flywheel combo is correct for the trans.

i attempted to put a 5 speed m10 trans in my 4 speed 79 528i and could not do it cause the e12 pressure plate is just a tiny bit bigger. Lesson learned.

Comment

Weren't you just saying that we are all ass-holes and how much you loath R3V? And now you want help? I think you need to work on your people skills.
                    Originally posted by Matt-B
                    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by RickSloan View Post
                      didn't otis runa stock 240 with a stock clutch on his 318?

and just to clear the confusion. every m30, s38, s14 and m10 all share the same bell housing and can interchange transmissions given that the pressure plate, flywheel combo is correct for the trans.

i attempted to put a 5 speed m10 trans in my 4 speed 79 528i and could not do it cause the e12 pressure plate is just a tiny bit bigger. Lesson learned.
                      So if I bought the '84 318i clutch kit and used it on the getrag 240 that will be bolting up to the m30, all should be well?

Comment

yes, that should work without a hitch, its how i would have done my e12 if i wasnt cruntched for time

Comment

^Yes.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by RickSloan View Post
                            yes, that should work without a hitch, its how i would have done my e12 if i wasnt cruntched for time
                            Thank you very much, this is what I'll do :)

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
                              So if I bought the '84 318i clutch kit and used it on the getrag 240 that will be bolting up to the m30, all should be well?
                              Yes, you could get an upgraded PP and sport disc. As you know you will need to use the M10 flywheel which bolts right on to the M30.

FWIW I ran about 400ftlbs of torque through a 240 with the M10 and had no issues even with 325xxx miles on it , clutch was far from stock though.
                              Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X