S52 or E39 V8 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 or E39 V8 swap?

I'm a newbie :D But I've been lurking for months. I finally found an E30 325i with 68k miles. I want a lot more power. I've been searching for a week and have found some helpful info (apparantly the e34 V8 us popular).

I have an E46 M3 and have owned 4 E36 M3's. I'm planning full M-tech wide body with (like I said, big motor) but have never done a swap before. I've pulled E36 motors and know my way around repairs. I do ALL my work myself.

What is required for an s50/52 swap? will the E39 V8 fit? If so, what's required? OR, what is the best swap for power? I'm not going forced induction,

Please, don't flame me! I'm a good guy and am on many forums (M3Forums, Bimmerforums, etc..) but none for this.

You guys would help me a ton if you could point me towards a DIY for any/all these.

Thanks guys,
    Dan

Ok, M60 (I think is the way I wanna go). Help?!?!?!?!?! Any DIY's?

Comment

i would say s50, plenty of power, and is still OBD1
      sigpic

Comment

S50/52. Much easier than a V8 swap, no real fabrication necessary all you have to do is buy the right parts. Also there is much more aftermarket support for the 6 cylinders, there isn't much you can do with the V8.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

What's your budget? Usually separates the S motors from the M's right there

IMO you're probably get more out of the box power with the M60/M62 than a US spec S50/S52. Although the s50 swap, or an m30 swap for that matter, is a lot easier than a v8 swap.

How important is handling, straight line power, low end torque, and mileage to you?
          '86 E30
          '05 E53 X5
          '72 Firebird
          '10 Prius
          '03 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post

i would say s50, plenty of power, and is still OBD1

OBDII was a concern, V8 (from what I've read V8's are very complicated swaps ($$$$$). I don't want to spend a ton so I'm leaning toward S50 with schrick cams, AA Gen III exhaust, headers, cat delete, all the bolt-ons and a stroker kit. What parts are req'd for the S50?

Comment

The Stickies in the 24v section will be your friend...
              Here http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=45442
              85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

PS: you guys are awesome for not flaming me. If you ever need any E36 or E46 M advice/help, I'm your guy. To show you I'm not some idiot asking rather than searching, I'll post up some of my street cred. Here's my flat white E46 M3:

M3 before matte white wrap:

My fav shot (my friend Wes is an AMAZING fotog)

During the wrap (I do vinyl work on the side)

OFF TOPIC, I KNOW but I did my friends GTR the same flat white/carbon roof as mine:

I do alot of interior wraps. Here's another friends CLK63 AMG:

before

after:

ok, back on topic. So S50, what do I need to buy? Does anyone have a complete write-up/DIY or parts list?

Comment

Damn, looks like I can't embed.

Link to fotoshoot with a nice burnout at 2:04:

DONUTS! I love my DINAN exhaust:

Comment

ok, back on topic. So S50, what do I need to buy? Does anyone have a complete write-up/DIY or parts list?

By the way, that's not my house. I'm not some rich punk kid. I do ok, just don't want you guys getting the wrong impression of me :)

Comment

Comment

Thanks man. i was hoping someone had a specific list they could just post up.

Also, my donor is an auto, what 6 speeds mount up to the S50 without replacing the drive line (or is that required)? Ok, ok I'll start searching. Conversation about the topic is always decently amusing for most.

Comment

Went the us s52 route on mine and ended up going to the euro s50b32 this last summer. Damn fast now. I would suggest starting there. Save you time later when you get tired of the us motor.

Comment

V8 swap isn't a popular swap, mainly because there is actual fabrication and work involved. S50's can be done in a weekend.
                            Byron
                            Leichtbau

Comment

es fitty fo

Comment

Working...
                              X