M30B35 swap into a 87 ETA w/auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30B35 swap into a 87 ETA w/auto

So I Want to drop a B35 into my 325e sedan. Love the torque, and I have no intention of boosting it at all. Maybe just some long-tube headers, intake, catless exhaust, cam, and chip, if anything. Now the only thing is I want to do this with an automatic tranny, as this will be a cruiser. I already have one car with a manual tranny, and do not want another. Will this complicate the swap, or is it feasible? How much should I expect to pay for a B35?

And yes, I did do a search, and could not find any swaps w/auto's.
    Originally posted by RUFFLZ
    #BANDISNIGGA
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    Why the fuck would you ever put a drink up there? If you ever have a drink to hold, just put it between your legs. You know, where your balls used to be before you had a girlfriend.

It can be done. Are you very concerned how far back the motor is ? how handy are you with a hand held sledge ?
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
      It can be done. Are you very concerned how far back the motor is ? how handy are you with a hand held sledge ?
      Pretty handy with a sledge? Should I just do a "drop-in swap" like a M50?
      #BANDISNIGGA
      Why the fuck would you ever put a drink up there? If you ever have a drink to hold, just put it between your legs. You know, where your balls used to be before you had a girlfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by Rau View Post
        Pretty handy with a sledge? Should I just do a "drop-in swap" like a M50?
        If your looking for a drop in swap M30 is not the way to go. Especially with an auto tranny.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

People have done auto m50 swaps?????

The m30b35 is totally drop in except for needing motor brackets.

It's more drop in than an m50. Everything lines up and fits.
          No need to smash in anything.
          or mess with the brake booster,
          or rewire the harness,
          or costume tranny mounts, shifter linkage ect...

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
            People have done auto m50 swaps?????

The m30b35 is totally drop in except for needing motor brackets.

It's more drop in than an m50. Everything lines up and fits.
            No need to smash in anything.
            or mess with the brake booster,
            or rewire the harness,
            or costume tranny mounts, shifter linkage ect...
            Exactly. Easier than m50 IMO.

The only problem with an auto swap is that most M30 auto transmissions were electronically controlled so you'll have to find a way to transfer all the wiring, computers, AT brains, sensors, etc in to your e30.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
              Exactly. Easier than m50 IMO.

The only problem with an auto swap is that most M30 auto transmissions were electronically controlled so you'll have to find a way to transfer all the wiring, computers, AT brains, sensors, etc in to your e30.
              shit...... I dont know what I want/can do now......
              #BANDISNIGGA

Comment

buy an e34 :P

Comment

Originally posted by Rau View Post
                  shit...... I dont know what I want/can do now......
                  Don't be a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles, 5spd m30 swap ftw. Get a low ratio diff and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                    buy an e34 :P
                    Tempting, already was scouring CL for a clean one.....

Originally posted by wannaBMthree View Post
                    Don't be a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles, 5spd m30 swap ftw. Get a low ratio diff and you'll be fine.
                    #BANDISNIGGA

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                      Only the 4hp22eh was electronically controlled. It had a switch for economy, sport, and manual shifting. The m30 4hp22 works the same as any other e30 4hp22. As long at you're starting with an auto car, you'll be fine with a 4hp22. Just don't get a 4hp22eh. Also, you'll need a different t-body, as the kickdown cable has to mount to it.

I'd go for a rebuilt 4hp22 (just sold one w/14k miles) as they (all of them) like to fry the A-pack. (A o-ring breaks down and allows the fluid to seep out of the a-pack, causing it to burn out) The rebuilt ones use upgraded components.....and cost about 2x as much as a 5sp. (Sold mine for $600...and that's cheap. Rebuild kit is ~$4-500 alone)

Easiest route: Just make it a 5sp. It's not that bad, it's simpler, etc, etc.

But....if you're up for a challenge, GL! (I'd get a car that already is an auto, thus containing all the wiring, etc.)
                      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

so... anything ever come of this? anyone know if the guts for an eh can be placed inside of a non eh? I can get my hands on an eh for my auto swap since i ruined the pump on my non eh, and was thinking about just having it rebuilt with the internals of the eh, or just convert the whole car to eh... please help!
                        sigpic
                        Streetable poly mounts, trans mounts are here!
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=streetable
                        '94 318i
                        '07 335i
                        '11 X5
                        '89 325ic m30b35

Comment

Working...
                        X