turbo biodiesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo biodiesel?

been looking around but havent found much. i know a few of you out there are interested about this too lol

has anyone seen a build thread of one of these?

im diggin the idea of building a turbo diesel and running it off biodiesel :)
    E30 LS1 swap, Tremec TKO, three link live axle rear suspension.

Hippy...
    '08 328i Sedan -daily touring car
    '89 335i Coupe -parting out
    '01 330i Sedan -divorced
    '90 325i Coupe -smashed

e30m50tu@gmail.com

Comment

(>'.')>?

Comment

Originally posted by Oolop View Post

im diggin the idea of building a turbo diesel and running it off biodiesel :)
        Keep digging!

This would be awesome!
        ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Im building something kind of like that.

Taking a 325iX and swapping in a m21 turbo diesel engine. The end product will be a 324tdx, wont get the mpg as a 2wd swapped diesel, but is way cooler anyways.
          Tri color fabric for sale here!
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=105922

Comment

Originally posted by Erik j View Post
            Im building something kind of like that.

Taking a 325iX and swapping in a m21 turbo diesel engine. The end product will be a 324tdx, wont get the mpg as a 2wd swapped diesel, but is way cooler anyways.
            AWESOME!!! that's gunna be sweet! my biggest problem is finding a diesel engine. its hard finding a 324td, let alone, a m21

im open to any suggestions

been finding out that mercedes has a few more diesel engines and some are turbo'd too

ECOdrift FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by doughnut View Post
              keep digging!

This would be awesome!
              <('.'<) (^'.') (>'.')>

Comment

Originally posted by Oolop View Post
                AWESOME!!! that's gunna be sweet! my biggest problem is finding a diesel engine. its hard finding a 324td, let alone, a m21

im open to any suggestions

been finding out that mercedes has a few more diesel engines and some are turbo'd too

ECOdrift FTW!
                The motors are out there, but look at spending at the very least 3000$ to do the swap.

You will want to find a 524td to start with. Then you need to repin the wire harness for the e30 c101 plug. Getting a euro 324td harness may work, but you have to make sure you find the right one. There are 2 versions of the e30 harness. one with the inline pump, and one with the rotary pump (e28 is rotary)

Comment

Originally posted by Erik j View Post
                  You will want to find a 524td to start with. Then you need to repin the wire harness for the e30 c101 plug. Getting a euro 324td harness may work, but you have to make sure you find the right one. There are 2 versions of the e30 harness. one with the inline pump, and one with the rotary pump (e28 is rotary)
                  thanks for the info

so you're tellin my the ecu in my 87 eta will work for a m21, ill just have to repin it?

and as for transmission, dont td's only come with autotragic? or will i be able to bolt my 5 speed from my eta with the same bell housing or will i have to find one that'll work?

sorry if im asking questions i could've found searching the forums or google but im also researching about biodiesel at the same time and its a good amount of info im tryin to digest.

Comment

No, the wire harness on the m21 is a square plug. E30 has a round plug. So the engine harness needs to be repinned like the m50 swap guys do it.
                    e30 c101 plug

This plugs into the fuse box at the round connector on the firewall.

You HAVE to use the m21 ecu, no other ecu will work.

the USA version of the 524td came only as a auto, but your in luck. the m21 shares the same transmission as the m20. So you will need to find a manual transmission from a 325e (needs to have the 2 sensors on the bellhousing.

Searching google or the forums will get you no where with this swap. No one really has done it and documented the swap. So you can follow my build on e30tech, or just ask me questions and I can tell you what needs to be done.

Comment

wait, which plug is which?

awesome, mine right now is an eta so i can just use my transmission when i do the swap :)

yea, send me a link, i'd love to see the build

thanks a lol for the help!

Comment

Both the plugs in the picture are e30 c101 plugs. I dont have a picture of the e28 one, but its just a square plug with a bunch of pins in it.

Here is the pin out swap that needs to be made to make a m21 run in a e30

m21-----------e30
                        Pin 1--------->Pin 1....To inst. cluster charging indicator lamp
                        Pin 2--------->Pin 2....To check control, static oil level sensor
                        Pin 3--------->Pin 13...Fuel pump control
                        Pin 4--------->Pin 4....To cluster, coolant temp signal
                        Pin 6--------->..............Not used with e30 FI (integrated idle control)
                        Pin 7--------->Pin 7....12V to ign coil
                        Pin 8--------->Pin 18...To starter, from ignition
                        Pin 10-------->..............Not used on non-airbag cars? (would go to pin 20?)
                        Pin 13-------->Pin 10...To check control, dynamic oil level sen.
                        Pin 14-------->Pin 5.....To cluster, oil pressure warning lamp
                        Pin 15-------->Pin 11...To cluster, SI reset
                        -------------->Pin 16...Unused
                        -------------->Pin 20...Unused

Comment

Right now my build thread is at 42 pages... so it may take some time, but in the early-mid page 30s is the turbo diesel stuff.

Comment

thanks

idk if this is a website you've seen but i've been digesting inifo from this website and its got a ton of info thats not confusing:

Comment

Its too cold where I live to run bio. We are below 30 degress 9 months of the year

Comment

Working...
                              X