Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 Turbo

Hey,

Can anyone tell me how much boost a stock M30B35 can take? I plan on doing the conversion soon, but want to get my ducks in a row.

Cheers
    Tino
    92 Opel Monza CLi 200i8v Exec
    92 Opel Rekord 380GSiV6
    87 BMW E30 335i (M30B35)
    91 BMW E34 520i (M50B20) with Mtech Turbines
    95 Hyundai Elantra with Mitsu 4G63
    Three Aircooled VW Beetles
    17.8Litres, 38cylinders, 10Cams and 84valves

Read this thread. It's very technical so take the time and read it over and over.
    It will help you realize the flaw in your question. There is a lot more to a turbo engine than just how much boost it can run.

Comment

That's a horrible thread.

12-13 psi before megasquirt is required (though there really is no excuse)

15-16 on stock HG, will blow eventually

maybe 18 with a good manifold and ARPs, might start seeing spark blowout or detonation without wasted spark

Beyond that you're going to be at a level where you need to be able to answer your own questions
      '89 335is +turbo

Comment

The amount of boost doesn't directly correlate to the amount of power your motor will be making.
        It's the cfm or VE that relates to how much power his car is making, along with other things.
        15psi on a Holset Hx40 is the same as 15psi on a Garrett t28. Boost is only a figure measured of the turbo comp cover.
        What I'm trying to get at is the flaw in his question. Instead of asking how boost will the motor handle. He should've asked how much power can a turbo m30 make before he starts running into problems.
        To really answer your question I've seen goodntight push 550whp on standard m30 internals. If you've seen any videos of it most people will wet themselves driving that thing.
        What separated him from the rest of the pack is his tuning. Your gonna need megasquirt. Or some other standalone ecu. Some say for "lower boost" applications its ok to make do with an eBay rrfpr. I'd do it right and get an ecu that can adjust fuel and timing.
        Also Lurker27 I find running head studs at those boost levals risky, your gonna need to do some careful tuning to achieve that. I've heard of some people doing it. But arp studs will save you from changing your head gasket or damaging things further.
        Last edited by The Humjet; 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I specifically said ARPs are required above 15-16

and yea his question is stupid, so i gave him the idiot answer. If he wanted a dissertation on torque, timing, and cylinder pressure, he could have googled it by now. Not saying your answer was bad in any way, i totally agree with you
          '89 335is +turbo

Comment

I'm making over 400tq on stock bolts.
            No lifting after many miles of over 15psi.

People are not having actual problems with arp, but something to look at.

Comment

That's weird. The arp studs I deal with at work don't look like that.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Only reason I asked my "stupid" question is that I would first need to establish if I would be better off building the motor for boost now (expensive) or just fit turbo/supercharger, management etc (not so expensive), and then when money allows, rip everything out and go balls to the wall.

Not looking for mega power. This is not a drag car. I just got used to the M30 and want something else. And, NO S/M5*! My cousin and brother both have M50 (b25nv and b28) and they have nothing on my M30. My cousin is also building a 1uz-fe e36. I just want to match him for now, and still have the room to go above should money allow.
                The car will do d/d duty every second week as well. So I need it to be semi-civilised.
                92 Opel Monza CLi 200i8v Exec
                92 Opel Rekord 380GSiV6
                87 BMW E30 335i (M30B35)
                91 BMW E34 520i (M50B20) with Mtech Turbines
                95 Hyundai Elantra with Mitsu 4G63
                Three Aircooled VW Beetles
                17.8Litres, 38cylinders, 10Cams and 84valves

Comment

Originally posted by The Humjet View Post
                  That's weird. The arp studs I deal with at work don't look like that.

u sure you have the studs and not the bolts?

just making sure.
                  1989 325i SETA stroker [delphin] R3V'd 8/31/2011
                  1989 325ix [zinnoberrot] $OLD
                  1970 2002 [Nevada]

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken
                  guy must have slid into something that doesn't look like a car vs car hit
                  Originally posted by ak-
                  Must of slid into Rob

Comment

still don't have a garage to begin my M30 turbo but after the upcoming holiday season I will be looking at houses so... I need to start part buying/full time researching now.

Any good places to start R3v? thanks again for your help!!
                    09/1989 325i 4 Door
                    +M30 Swap
                    +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

Originally posted by Heysüß View Post
                      still don't have a garage to begin my M30 turbo but after the upcoming holiday season I will be looking at houses so... I need to start part buying/full time researching now.

Any good places to start R3v? thanks again for your help!!
                      Hey you bought my turbo setup, I have the charge pipe for the cold side I have no use for. It has the v-band for a 50mm tial BOV and is made to work if you flip the TB to the drivers side.
                      Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X