M30 for a DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 for a DD

Ok, very tempted to consider a swap to an M30; will an M30 be a reliable daily driver?
    Last edited by amcink; 04-10-2012, 10:14 PM.

Yes.

Comment

Reliable? Silly question. Of Course they are. Gas friendly, oh yeah, they love that stuff ;)
      85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

Reliable = yes
        Fun as hell = yes
        Poor mpg = yes
        Good DD choice = up to you.
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I'll just add that with megasquirt and a 2.93 the cruising mileage is actually quite good (40 degrees of advance and 15.6 AFR ftw)
          '89 335is +turbo

Comment

I DD mine. With poly engine and trans mounts too.
            There's no reason to believe the M30 isn't good for a daily driver. After all, look how many BMWs used it back in the day, many daily drivers. In a smaller, lighter car it's only better.
            I think it's better for a DD than an m20..
            It gets about the same gas mileage as the m20.
            It has more power all the way up to redline, especially at lower rpms.
            I think maintenance is easier, atleast most things. For example, oil filter is easier to access. Better, more simple layout of coolant hoses. No timing belt. The airbox being on the other side makes things easier to get to access and more room on the driver side. Intake manifold is easier to remove. etc.
            And the m30 has proved it's reliability and stood the test of time.
            Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

^ Well said.
              What's your transmission and differential ratio?

Comment

Boat anchor...

Don't do it....

;)
                ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Should be on the list of most reliable engine ever built.

Comment

Been DD my e30m30 for a little over a year, still can't get used to the louder exhaust note (I listen to NPR so no point in turning up the radio)
                    When I need a break from the noise I drive my e30 with m20 still in it.

Comment

With the right mufflers an m30 can be quiet also.
                      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Grand525 View Post
                        ^ Well said.
                        What's your transmission and differential ratio?
                        I have the 2.93 LSD differential with the G260/6
                        The gears are very "long" but it still feels quite fast even despite the long gears because of the m30's great torque curve. My m30 is modded too FWIW.
                        It's very nice on both the highway and around town and gets good gas mileage. I would rather have an 3.25 or 3.43 though. But then I wouldn't even be able to put the power down without burning rubber.:)

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                        Should be on the list of most reliable engine ever built.
                        It was on Ward's 10 bets engines of the 20th century FWIW.

Originally posted by uturn View Post
                        Been DD my e30m30 for a little over a year, still can't get used to the louder exhaust note (I listen to NPR so no point in turning up the radio)
                        When I need a break from the noise I drive my e30 with m20 still in it.
                        I have the stock m20 muffler on mine and it's definitely not loud at all. I replaced the center cat converter section with a straight pipe and it's still not loud, just a very little bit more loud and throaty. I think it's about the same as an m20 all else (exhaust) equal.

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
                        With the right mufflers an m30 can be quiet also.
                        This. Like I said, with my stock m20 muffler it's definitely not load at all. I'm actually thinking of getting a Dynomax muffler now.
                        Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Working...
                        X