M30 swap for my Olive Drab Vert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 swap for my Olive Drab Vert!

Hi everyone! First off let me say that I am horrible at build threads because I normally don't have an extra set of hands to photograph stuff as I go. That being said I will try to update this as often as I can with progress and questions. Thanks for looking and the help I am sure to receive!

I have begun my swap with some light reading and big talk with some other e30 guys here and there! And then I set out to find my pieces as cheap as possible.

Collected so far:

*Freshly machined B34 bored out to 94.0056 or 3573cc
    *Freshly machined, and ported head from a 1989 535i e34
    *AASCO 9.5lb B34 Flywheel
    *Volvo FMIC
    *2.5" intercooler piping kit
    *HOLSET HX40
    *Getrag 260/6
    *Wiseco forged pistons
    *Good&Tight Tubular T4 stainless steel exhaust manifold
    *E34 535i Oilpan
    *IE adjustable Fuel pressure regulator
    *QBang B34 swap motor mounts
    *ARP Head stud kit
    *179 DME
    *Cometic MLS .070 Head Gasket
    *Spec Stage 3+ Clutch kit
    *Justrack Econometer Boost/Vac gauge
    *Jaywood digital voltmeter
    *E28 535i radiator

May 30th, 2012

Today I broke down the short block and prepped it for the hot tank and then it is off to the machine shop! I got a picture or two before I really made progress and then my hands were to nasty to even think about touching my Iphone!

And yes I am working out of my storage unit, the apartment managers don't like oil on the kitchen floor!
    Last edited by RagtopE30; 01-29-2014, 06:41 PM.
    450whp 524 lb-ft 1988 336ic In progress

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250709

Final configuration yet to be determined?!?! Subscribed.

Comment

More pics:

Comment

Just a heads up, putting the b35 head on a b34 block will result in low compression that is not ideal for anything but a turbo. Unless of course you use a custom piston.

EDIT: I see you're planning a turbo, didn't read carefully the first time. Carry on.

Also you will need the b35 pan, unless you plan on pretty much making a completely custom pan out of the b34 one.

EDIT 2: I don't think that radiator will fit.
        Originally posted by LJ851
        I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

I have been informed about the pan and I plan on fixing that issue. As far as the Turbo goes, the plan is for boost and plenty of it.

The block and rotating assembly is off to the machine shop on Friday after a good soaking. At the machine shop it will be completely gone over. On the menu, knife edge crank, bearings, cylinder honing, wrist pins, crank and connecting rod bearings, resurfacing head mating surface, then re assembly. And for those DIY guys out there, I will be at the machine shop involved in every step.

Also at the Machine shop the head will be torn back down to replace the valve guides, regrind the valves and lap them in, and some porting by the hands of a very experienced machinist with access to a flow bench.

Both mating surfaces will be prepped to receive the MLS Cometic head gasket.

Comment

You'll also need a b35 crank pulley, cps, coolant temp sensors and afm to run the 179 dme. And you may want to aim for at least a 260/6, as it is a much sturdier tranny, especially if you're planning on going tarbo.
            I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

The 260/6 came in the e34 535i correct?

Comment

'86-'88 535s and E34 535s. Can be identified by the churro-esque bottom of the transmission, as opposed to the waffles on the 260/5.

Helpful info:

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
                The Getrag 260/5 came in the earlier 3.2 liter powered cars. 533i, 633CSi, and even some 733i I believe. I don't have ratios handy but the 260/5 has a reputation for not being as robust as the 260/6 and the 265, and sometimes makes some bearing noise upon shutting the car off that is known as the "265/5 rattle".

The 260/6 replaced the 260/6 and is regarded as a very robust transmission. They were used in pretty much anything that got an M30 built in and after 1985. The gearchange is generally agreed to be a bit smoother than the 265.

The 265 is the most robust family of transmissions available for the M30. The 265 actually comes in a 262 case (262 was a 4 speed box) but they have 5 speed guts. The 265s can be notchy sometimes, especially into 2nd gear (personal experience) but tend to last FORVER and can take tons of power and torque without exploding. The 265s were offered in the 3.5 liter 635CSi and E23 735i (europe) up to at least 1984, as well as some E28s. It seems that BMW used them here and there until around 1986 but thats not a definite cutoff. The 265 has a close ratio version with a dogleg patten that is very sought after and rare.

The 260/5 is a one piece case with an integrated bellhousing and a "checkerboard" pattern on the actual transmission portion of the case. The 260/6 is also a one piece case but it has longitudinal casting lines that look like cooling fins. The 265 is a multi-piece case with a removable bellhousing, so telling the three apart is generally pretty easy.

Feedback

Comment

Ok awesome, I know where to get all of said items! Now just to find the loot to purchase said items! I have a feeling that the vert is going to force me to sell the '95 M-Sport! JK! I wouldn't sell that beast!

Comment

Originally posted by RagtopE30 View Post
                    Ok awesome, I know where to get all of said items! Now just to find the loot to purchase said items! I have a feeling that the vert is going to force me to sell the '95 M-Sport! JK! I wouldn't sell that beast!
                    Don't even joke about that..

Comment

I know, I know! The whole dental incident forced my mind to go there and regrettably the idea is still lingering there. I wouldn't actually do it though!

Comment

Subscribe, this is of my interest

Comment

June 1st, 2012

The short block is completely disassembled and at the machine shop. I am glad that I decided to break down this relatively low mileage engine! Every bearing that we pulled looked like hell and any more use without an overhaul would have ended in disaster! Luckly the machine shop I am using specializes in race engines and I have a very talented machinist working with me on this build.

Pics

And those are just the crank journal bearings! I tossed the connecting rod bearings before I had a chance to take a picture. But don't worry this engine will be reborn and be the beast it was supposed to be!

Comment

Wow, that bearing shell was HOT! Nice save.
                            sigpic
                            Reich und Roll!

Comment

Believe it or not there was no scoring on the crank or connecting rods. Today we will be checking everything to find out if the crank needs to be turned and doing some head work.

Comment

Working...
                              X