Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

endless m30 issues...NEW ISSUE! Battery wont charge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

endless m30 issues...NEW ISSUE! Battery wont charge!

I am having issues with my battery draining... Everything seems to be hooked up correctly and the alternator checked out...
    Last edited by tfritz; 06-26-2012, 10:05 AM.

Is the switch not kicking on or are you not getting power to the fan? Jump the plug to the switch and see if it kicks on. You could have air in the system that is just not getting the switch hot enough. Are you running the 318ti switch?

As far as endless issues:

Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

just using the stock e30 switch, but its not getting power to the switch. Does this have anything to do with the temp. gauge not working? Cause thats my main concern right now.

Comment

There are two different coolant temperature sensors. The blue one tells the ECU to make small changes in the amount of fuel being added in relation to how cold the motor is . The brown tells the temperature gauge what to read. Swap over the brown temperature sensor from the M20 thermostat housing for the temp gauge to work (it has one prong as opposed to two). Leave the blue one for the ECU.

This is a great thread on figuring the fan stuff out:

Wire the fan to run on high. Then figure out which wires need to be connected on the female plug for the fan to turn on (jump the plug with some extra wire). Figure out which prongs are connected on the temp switch when it reaches the right temperature (test for resistance in a pot of water on the stove). Make it so those wires are connected when the switch turns on. You can open the back of the female plug and switch the order of wires around. If there is no air in the system, the fan will work. What fan are you using?
        Last edited by csermonet47; 06-02-2012, 08:07 PM.
        Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

Know of any good write-ups on how to wire the electric fan? I am using a cheaper ebay fan, and have only found a couple write-ups, and they say the a/c switch needs to be on for the fan to work.

I would like the fan to come on automatically, and also have an override switch so I can turn it on during autocross or incase its just doesnt kick on.

Comment

This is for 24v swaps but the wiring is the same. Just use the 318ti temp switch (61-31-8-361-78761-31-8-361-787). By tying in both the high and low speed wires into the fan wiring, you should be able to hit your A/C switch and the fan will come on and when the A/C switch is off, it will be temperature activated. Somebody correct me if I am wrong since I don't have it wired up this way ...

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
            Im tired of seeing all these threads on how do i wire my fan and people doing dumb stuff like wiring it on constantaly or using the snowflake button to turn it on method.

1: Install fan in car.
            2: Find stock fan wiring on drivers side under drivers headlight
            You should have red brown and black (AFTER the Plug)
            or BK/Blue BK/Green and Brown (BEFORE the plug)

Assuming youre using an aftermarket fan, you want to wire the +12 of the electric fan to RED and the ground to BROWN
            Another method (in order to get the stock fan wirings' low speed to work) is to wire RED and BLACK together. But keep in mind because you have no fan resistor there wont really be a low speed as far as the fan is concerned. Another trick is to remove the fan resistor from the stock fan and wire it in series with the black wire.

3:Find the stock fan switch wiring: early model on drivers side, late on passenger side (1988 changeover)

Basically BK/BRN to GRN/BK will fire high speed
            BK to GRN/BK will fire low speed

4: I always just utilize high speed and use this switch: (61-31-1-364-272-82 ) in series with an 80 deg C thermostat. Dont try to use the stock fan switch (2 or 3 pole) because most of the factory switches are setup to have the fan work as an AUX fan which you are no longer doing. You want the fan to turn on alot earlier than the stock switch has the fan setup
            Pelican Link for switch
            This will make the fan come on right under the halfway mark and making it so you never ever half to worry about pressing the snowflake or anything stupid like that. The car will cool itself just like its supposed to from the factory.

Picture for reference:
            I would highly suggest getting the Spal pusher as seen in the first thread. It moves a TON of air and always cools it off no matter what.
            Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

I just got the ebay pusher for now. I figured I would give it a try with it only being 40 bucks, and if it doesn't do the job, I will get the spal.

Thanks for that info!!

Comment

as elementary as it may sound, check your fuses.

Comment

Fuses have been checked. Im thinking my blower fan and a/c button, etc. inside the car are not working due to a plug thats not plugged in. I have a black plug (2 wires) inside the car that plugs into the factory m20 engine harness near the ecu plug. I do not know where this plug is supposed to be attached to the m30 harness....

Comment

Pics of said plugs..

In-car plug:

M30B35 harness plugs:

Comment

The one in the glove box attaches to the white one on the harness I think ...
                      Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

Those two plugs dont plug into each other, slight differences..

Comment

I had my harness/ecu sitting in the engine bay without those connections. Ran great. Your issue lies somewhere else

Comment

hmmmmm..

Comment

yert315, did you have the plug in the glove box (pictured above) unplugged as well?

Just don't know what would be keeping power from the a/c button and blower fan..

Comment

Working...
                              X