what is the difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the difference

Im just getting into bmws and i have a regular 87 325. i was wondering what is the difference between the 325 and the 325i/is/ix are they dohc why do they rev higher than the 325s. if anyone can tell me the difference i would really appreciate it

Well to start off with, there's no such thing as a regular 325 AFAIK. There's 325e, 325es, 325i, 325is, and 325ix. No six-cylinder e30 comes 'dohc' from the factory. The e and es are 'eta' motors that are built more for economy and low-end torque, and due to their light valve springs, can't rev very high. the 'i' variants are the sportier cars that have slightly less torque but much higher horsepower and rev limits.

Hope that cleared things up a bit.
    This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

Originally posted by MrK
      Well to start off with, there's no such thing as a regular 325 AFAIK. There's 325e, 325es, 325i, 325is, and 325ix. No six-cylinder e30 comes 'dohc' from the factory. The e and es are 'eta' motors that are built more for economy and low-end torque, and due to their light valve springs, can't rev very high. the 'i' variants are the sportier cars that have slightly less torque but much higher horsepower and rev limits.

Some stripped down etas were badged just "325". My 89i only has a "325" badge, and no indication of an "i" being removed from it. 325i's have dual valve springs, a hotter cam (sohc), bigger throttle body, different intake manifold design, and dual exhaust, and make about 50hp more than etas. Etas have slightly more torque at a lower RPM. i's redline at 6400, and etas redline at (I believe) 4700.

My fast says: traction control is for the faint of heart :evil:

Comment

My 325i has no badge at all, and no sign of there ever being one. But it's still a 325i :)

Just messin'

Cheers
        This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

From '84 to '88 there existed the 325. I owned an '87 325. They had the eta engine. There is no 325s, but rather the 325is and the differences in models are discussed in threads that can be found in the FAQ and DIY section and on numerous other websites.

Comment

thanks that clears up alot. but dont the 318is come dohc

Comment

Originally posted by maniax101887
              thanks that clears up alot. but dont the 318is come dohc
              -The late ones did (90-91)
              -Early 318's (83-85) were sohc m10's
              1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by MrK
                No six-cylinder e30 comes 'dohc' from the factory.

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                X