b35 runs but hard starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

b35 runs but hard starts

Just started doing this in the last week. It takes for ever to start but runs just fine once it does. I've checked all fuses, the e32 harness, and I have fuel since it runs fine. Am I not checking something obvious or did I miss something?

Is the fuel pressure regulator serviceable?

Check fuel pressure at ignition 'on' before cranking, you could have an issue with a tired fuel pump and check valve.

Double check fuel filter.

Did you have issues with the original motor?
    ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

No, it started just fine before my swap and I put a new filter in last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Comment

Dieing battery.

Every single start?

Comment

Did you have the head off the car at all? Me thinks timing could be a cause of hard start. If the chain is off a cog or two it might be problematic.
          Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
          Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
          Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I've had a similar problem with a failing check valve in the fuel pump. If the rail isn't under enough pressure, it won't be able to supply enough fuel to start for a decent bit of time.

Timing would not make for hard starts, it would make for bad running.
            cars beep boop

Comment

no it's not every start, and I had the head off when i rebuilt it months ago. This didn't start happening until about a week ago, and it's sporadic now. Kronus, I'm thinking you might be right about the fuel pump as it's the only part I haven't replaced and very well could be starting to go. I park on a decline in front of my house, and it does it 85% of the time then, but when it's on flat ground it starts right up...weird.

Comment

Put a gauge on the fuel line to check fuel pressure, It will prove the pump and check valve straight away.

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Mine goes to 0psi after sitting but still starts up good.

Comment

Cold start valve? Mine broke at the hookup on an older m30 and took 20+ cranks to start. Did that for a week, then it magically decided to work.

Comment

B35 doesn't have a cold start valve

Comment

So when I unplug the AFM it starts right up, does that mean its going bad or just need to be cleaned? I cleaned the plug and connection with some CRC so hopefully that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                          Mine goes to 0psi after sitting but still starts up good.
                          Yes.

Check fuel crank pressure with ignition 'on' (fuel system is primed ready for start)

Comment

I have an early eta so the fuel pump doesn't prime in the on position.

Comment

I checked the resistance on the cps yesterday and it was way off. It measured ~1350 at 40° F, but I'm not sure how that translates when it's supposed to be between 490 and 590 at 68°F. I cleaned a bunch of grime off of it too and now it starts a lot better. I guess that was the problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X