Should I boost an M30 or M50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I boost an M30 or M50?

My m20 blew in the last 300 miles of a 2000 mile road trip a couple weeks ago. I've been weighing the pros and cons of different engine swaps since. I know I want another BMW inline 6 motor for simplicity and so I have space for a turbo.

The question is, which engine should I get? I think Im leaning towards an m30.
    I love the sound of mid range torque in the 3.5L, and I was thinking that a turbo would make up for the lack power in the higher rpms.
    Also, the more modern DOHC 24v m50 scares me a little bit, it sounds like more to potentially go wrong when I add forced induction.

Are these assumptions accurate?
    TIA

Edit: By the way, I want to build a reliable DD anywhere in the range of 200-300 hp and 10-15 psi
    Last edited by makeshift; 05-23-2014, 11:17 AM.

IMO, M30. I think it looks better in an e30 than an m50. Period correct also. And m50s are played out. Unless you want to be like everyone else.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I agree

Comment

Originally posted by makeshift View Post
        I love the sound of mid range torque in the 3.5L, and I was thinking that a turbo would make up for the lack power in the higher rpms.

Edit: By the way, I want to build a reliable DD anywhere in the range of 200-300 hp and 10-15 psi
        The M30 already has 208hp, so it's in your target range without a turbo :)
        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Both have their fitment issues. But an m30 looks better in my opinion. The tech in the m50 isn't much more advanced. Start pricing stuff out and go from there.
          Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
          Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
          Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Not that I've driven either but with 350-500 foot pounds of torque easily attainable the m30 option seems more attractive but if money is no issue then who knows?
            Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
              The M30 already has 208hp, so it's in your target range without a turbo :)
              True, I like to make my goals easily attainable

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
              Both have their fitment issues. But an m30 looks better in my opinion. The tech in the m50 isn't much more advanced. Start pricing stuff out and go from there.
              Ok. I agree that the M30 looks better.

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
              Not that I've driven either but with 350-500 foot pounds of torque easily attainable the m30 option seems more attractive but if money is no issue then who knows?
              It seems like we have come to a consensus heheh

Comment

Seriously was a no brainer. M50s suck.
                sigpic

Comment

Why everyone hating on the M50 so much?

Comment

No hate ....

The M30 is just that awesome. Personally when I see an M50 swap it screams "Corners Cut! Compromises Made!"
                    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
                      500foot pounds from an M30?

Originally posted by flyboyx
                      i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

M30. They are so easy to get power from and looks better then m50. Buddy here is running at 8 psi making close to 400hp ( hes got lots of head work) its still a beast of a motor.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

M30: SOHC 2-valve, Panzer-tank reliability, terrible gas mileage, torque everywhere, cheap, plentiful, simple, loves boost, one of Ward's Top Engines of the 20th Century (no joke, google it).

M50: DOHC 4 valve, better oem engine management, significantly less power/tq, nice gas mileage, also cheap, plentiful, and loves boost (go non-vanos for that). Basically an M20 with a 4 valve head, better engine management electronics, and a timing chain.

Both are cheap, reliable engines that excel in different territories, and are now both heavily documented, easy swaps. Yes I said easy. If you have played with legos as a kid and you're smarter than a monkey with a wrench, you can do both of these swaps. 99% of the necessary parts are OEM and already exist, implying you don't have to fabricate much, if anything at all. Study those system diagrams, figure out how everything bolts up, and go shred. Make an Excel sheet to keep your expenses in check, and start sourcing parts.

Make thy choice.
                          1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
                          5-Speed Swapped
                          M30B35 Swapped
                          MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
                          260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
                            500foot pounds from an M30?

600+ftlbs version M30, stock bottom end, stupid motor won't die.. :rofl:

Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
                              600+ftlbs version M30, stock bottom end, stupid motor won't die.. :rofl:

This just proves the m30 is the best motor ever

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
                              X