M30 Exhaust Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 Exhaust Recommendations

I have been running header dump exhaust on my 335iC for about three weeks now and I am ready to stop having my organs vibrate every time I go up a hill.

My e30 muffler was pretty roached, so what kind of exhaust/muffler combos do people run for street cars? Single or dual all the way back to the muffler? Ideally, I would like my car to continue being a sleeper AFTER I turn the key in the ignition...

I do have full e30 325i, e30 323i, and e32 735i exhausts lying around if there's anything I can reuse.
    Originally posted by Japandrew73
    I'm not going to be "cutting up" the subframe, I'm going to be notching it
    '92 335ic Alpinweiss II/Indigo
    '79 323i Arktisblau Euro

I am also interested in this.
    Last edited by nighthawk; 09-09-2014, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I use e34 down pipes welded over the stock e30 325i exhaust. I even used the o2 sensor bung from the 325i exhaust. Super sleeper but you can tell there's some power missing in the top end with the restriction.

Have you made a purchase from www.blunttech.com recently?
      sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

Originally posted by Red88 View Post
        I use e34 down pipes welded over the stock e30 325i exhaust. I even used the o2 sensor bung from the 325i exhaust. Super sleeper but you can tell there's some power missing in the top end with the restriction.
        Did you modify the downpipes at all? I've been looking at doing this with my e32/e34 downpipes, and they don't seem to fit very well. The flex joint is at the end of its range of motion. It seems like it would be difficult to line them up straight so I could weld on the e30 pipes.
        '79 323i Arktisblau Euro

Comment

i'm running a set of slightly modified ireland engineering headers, dual 2" pipes to a dual in/out cat, 2 pipes all the way out to 2" generic 12" cans. Even with the headers it's nice and tame until about 4k rpm. no drone whatsoever. magnaflow cat for e34.
          sigpic

Comment

I had no problems fitting the down pipes. I clearances the firewall but really didn't have to.

sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

Originally posted by Red88 View Post
              I had no problems fitting the down pipes. I clearances the firewall but really didn't have to.
              One of my e32 downpipes rubs on the heat shield on the motor mount. RealOEM show that the e32 and e34 exhaust manifolds and center sections are the same, but I am wondering if this is actually true.

Is it possible to rotate the downpipes on the exhaust manifold flange and re-tighten it? If I could get the pipes just a little closer to the motor they would fit fine.
              '79 323i Arktisblau Euro

Comment

Running a custom single 2.5in with Magnaflow out the back. Sounds amazing, never get tired of it.

Comment

I don't have a heat shield on my motor mount. Maybe I should, but I believe my mounts are bolt thru.

I did have to take some metal out of my mount arms. They're b34 mounts fell the guy in Finland.

sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

Current setup- e34 down pipes cut and welded to a e34 cat, pipe bent to mate up to a magnaFlo muffler. Sounds nice but I prefer something more toned down. Will get e28 headers to a e30m3 center section followed by a 320is (similar to the e30m3) muffler.

Comment

I'm running e34 downpipes into a 2.5 inch single - hi flow cat, resonator & sport muffler. It drones a bit much for my liking, although isn't overly loud.

Probably going to try a modded e46 back box at some point to quieten it down.
                      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Gonna revive this thread hopefully. I'm in the process of building an exhaust for my high compression, cammed m30. Anyone have any experience with thrush turbo mufflers? My plan is stock b35 manifolds (couldnt get my sthal headers to fit :( ), e34 downpipes, x pipe, 3.00in turbo muffler and then a 3.00in sidepipe exiting right in front of the passenger rear wheel. I have fuel cell so there's plenty of room for a sidepipe setup. Should the muffler be closer to the front or the rear of the exhaust system? Looking for a very bassy rumble. Can be loud af cause I'm 20 and give no fks and it won't be my daily.
                        = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Ive got some V-banded IE headers that fit an e30 if anyone wants them. Before i went turbo i had the IE headers to single 2.5" with vibrant res and muffler. Sounded mean as hell.
                          '86 Delphin 335i turbo -
                          '88 Schwarz 325i -
                          '94 w124 e420 -
                          Turbo m30b35 Build Thread

Comment

I've got Bavauto long tube headers to Y-pipe with a single 2 1/2" outlet then a Vibrant resonator and a single in/out Walker Dynomax Turbo muffler. I used mandrel pipe FWIW. I like the setup performance wise but may go to a larger version (289-17748 ) with a 6" longer body of the same muffler I'm already using to mellow it out a bit. The setup is certainly light weight but it is a bit loud and has a bit too much bark.
                            Last edited by Bearmw; 11-23-2015, 05:46 PM.
                            Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                            X