m30 inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30 inspection

so on Sunday I'm going to look/buy an m30b35 I was wondering if anyone has any tips for inspecting the engine unfortunately the engine is out of the car so starting it is kind of out of the question anything helps thank you!

Is the engine on a stand? I have 420,000 miles on mine. Put a socket and breaker bar on the crank nut and turn slowly back and forth and try to feel for any slop in the bearings. Watch the cam to see how much slop is in the timing chain. Pull all the plugs and take a good look for any soot or oil. Smell the oil to see if it's smelling off. If the car has been well maintained, I wouldn't know why they pulled the motor except for an e30 swap.

Comment

It's not on a stand its on a pallet right now an from what he said he pulled the motor to part the car out because the Frame was not repairable

Comment

If the engine oil has been changed do not buy that engine.
        ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by afelice View Post
            Why?
            If you had a good engine that you were pulling out of your car to sell, there would be no reason why you would replace the engine oil.

Any motor being sold privately that has been washed clean and engine oil brand new (especially if it has an old oil filter still fitted) is to be avoided IMO.
            ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

I bought an M30 that was totally clean & had new looking oil - it came from a very well maintained 535iS that had been crashed??

I can understand why you might be suspicious, but I guess you would need to talk with the seller & gauge their honesty about the history of the engine before I'd not buy it on those grounds.

My engine turned out to be perfect, with a head that had been replaced in the not too distant past.
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by Doughnut View Post
                If you had a good engine that you were pulling out of your car to sell, there would be no reason why you would replace the engine oil.

Any motor being sold privately that has been washed clean and engine oil brand new (especially if it has an old oil filter still fitted) is to be avoided IMO.
                I just sold an m20 with fresh oil and a fresh filter, but that was because I wasn't planning on an m30 swap so i had just replaced the fractured oil pan.

So OP, just use common sense and you should be fine.
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
                X