1990 535i 5 speed donor for 1990 325i auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 535i 5 speed donor for 1990 325i auto

Hey everyone, I have been lurking and researching on the site for a while now, and figured it's time to join. I currently have a very clean Alpine white/ hellrot 1990 325i automatic, and have been wanting to swap the m20 auto for an m30 and a 5 speed, and would eventually add a turbo.

I just recently found a 1990 535i donor car with a 5 speed. It needs a new head gasket, but I was planning on upgrading to arp studs anyways, as well as a 2.07mm headgasket. I have done plenty of research on both the m20 to m30 swap, as well as the auto to manual swap, but I haven't found anything specific on using a 535i donor for both.

I realize I will need the drivetrain, throttle cable, drive shaft, etc from the 535i, but am I correct in assuming I will still need a pedal box and shift linkages from a manual e30? I read somewhere that some of the manual parts from the e34 may actually work, but I am skeptical. I suppose I could probably trade some parts of needed, as it seems e34 manual stuff is somewhat rare. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!

Yes

Comment

A 535i e34 donor has the majority of the parts you need for the swap. You'll definitely need a manual e30 transmission crossmember, but the shifter linkage should work if you have a buddy with a welder that can shorten it. Front half of the e34 driveshaft is said to work. The e34 5 speed parts are worth something, you should be able to sell them for about what you can buy used e30 parts for

Have you made a purchase from www.blunttech.com recently?
      sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

The e30 throttle cable works perfectly. No need for the e34 cable. The stock 325i small guibo driveshaft works perfectly if you are planning on using Garagistic or similarly designed engine mounts. All you need is the small output flange from the M20's G260 manual transmission (23211228298').

The stock M20 shift linkage works perfectly with no modification necessary. The pin on the lower steel linkage must be shimmed (washers/custom spacers) on both sides after being slid through part number 25117503525 so it is parallel with the upper aluminum linkage. Use an e30 or e28 slave cylinder.

Yes you need an e30 pedal box, pedals, and clutch master cylinder. Fitting them is a bitch, but it's doable. Plan on removing the driver's seat for more working room.
        Last edited by EatsHondas; 07-19-2015, 08:14 PM.
        1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
        5-Speed Swapped
        M30B35 Swapped
        MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
        260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

Working...
        X