My m30 went boom. Time to rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My m30 went boom. Time to rebuild

So I figured I will document my rebuild over here as well.

It all started about a month ago. I got my exhaust on the car and everything all button'd up but I couldn't get the car to idle correctly. I did a compression test and it confirmed my worst fear. 2 cylinders with really low compression.

At first I figured just a head gasket so I ordered a new one and got to work pulling the head.

Pulled head only to find my head gasket look great! After finding that. I knew i wasn't gonna be dealing with a cheap easy fix. So i decided to pull the trigger on a full rebuild. After this EVERY part on my car will have been rebuilt.

First step was to remove the motor and trans. Buddy came by and we had it out in less then an hour.

After that i started blowing it apart and gathering parts

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160410/0302009a95e517bb7897e36d2488c702.jpg[/IMG

Parts are gathering up. New timing and oil chain. New rings, new bearings, HD rocker arms and rocker locks along with a 284 ireland cam. I Also sent my head to VAC motor sports to be rebuilt it should done this week hopefully.

Some parts aren't pictured but are on hand.

Thursday i took the block to school and threw it in the hot tank for a few hours

Before

After

I gotta go over it in a couple areas that the hot tank couldn't get because ours is a spray style tank not a dunk tank. Then i took the block back to my shop and oiled it up and sealed it up. Tuesday or thursday depending when my rod bolts get it. I will take it down to KC where i will have a friend button up the bottom end. Then once the head gets in from VAC i will assemble and get it ready. I plan on painting my bay and painting my block, valve cover and intake manifold too. I hope to have this all done by may.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Sounds like the perfect time to add a M106 turbo to it!
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
      Sounds like the perfect time to add a M106 turbo to it!
      LOL I actually sold that setup to fund race car parts. Also with the way things are now its the same price for m106 system and conventional top mount which would make more power. I think next summer I will get me an hx35 and otis manifold.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Just made the 6.5 hour round trip and took bottom end to KC to be rebuilt.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Working...
        X