M50 and Manual Swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 and Manual Swap?

I don't have an E30 at the moment and I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to buy an auto, then swap the engine and transmission. How expensive would this all be (besides the parts) and would I be better off just waiting until i find an E30 in my price range that's manual and a coupe?

Thanks!

If you're going to swap it anyway, it wouldn't be so bad to start with an automatic car. You could put in an e36 ZF trans with matching shift linkage and driveshaft. Then, you'd basically be left just to find an e30 manual pedal box and maybe a different ratio diff. Its always easier and cheaper to start with a manual car but if you're doing the swap and happen to find a really nice auto car, then its a win-win. As far as actual labor costs, I'm not quite sure.
    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

You don't need a manual pedal box to convert a auto to a manual. The auto pedal box is exactly the same except for the useless clutch pedal return spring (which does nothing).
      All you need is both pedals and the longer pivot bolt for the pedals.

The auto pedal box has the threaded mounting holes for a manual clutch master cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by st.petebiodiesel View Post
        The auto pedal box has the threaded mounting holes for a manual clutch master cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Everything is true in your post, except this. I have gone through this before where the box did NOT have the threaded holes. :( Some do, some don't.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

For RHD this is true - the pedal box itself is the same for autos and manuals, you just swap the bolt and the pedals. There clutch return spring fits no problem too on RHD. (I know it's probably not relevant to the OP)
          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
            For RHD this is true - the pedal box itself is the same for autos and manuals, you just swap the bolt and the pedals. There clutch return spring fits no problem too on RHD. (I know it's probably not relevant to the OP)

Again, not all the boxes have the threaded plugs for the clutch master. They will just have empty squares where the plugs go (aka captive nuts). I have one right here that I am going to tack some nuts on it.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              Everything is true in your post, except this. I have gone through this before where the box did NOT have the threaded holes. :( Some do, some don't.
              Bump,

Can anyone upload a photo of exactly what to look for? I found a great autotragic so im interested in this

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                Again, not all the boxes have the threaded plugs for the clutch master. They will just have empty squares where the plugs go (aka captive nuts). I have one right here that I am going to tack some nuts on it.
                Which exact model of e30 do you have (would be interesting to note which e30s have the "auto only" pedal box as I've never seen one after wrecking a heap of e30s).

Comment

Originally posted by xXWarsmithXx View Post
                  Bump,

Can anyone upload a photo of exactly what to look for? I found a great autotragic so im interested in this

Will try to today. Just did a manual swap yesterday and the car happen to have the threaded captive nut.

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                  Which exact model of e30 do you have (would be interesting to note which e30s have the "auto only" pedal box as I've never seen one after wrecking a heap of e30s).

I have personally owned about 12 e30's and have been making a full time living working on them at my shop for about a decade. I couldn't tell you which ones, but have come across several that didn't have them. I know this because when they are lacking the captive nut, I have to swap the whole pedal box.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Originally posted by xxwarsmithxx View Post
                    bump,

can anyone upload a photo of exactly what to look for? I found a great autotragic so im interested in this
                    Originally posted by lukeade335i View Post
                    which exact model of e30 do you have (would be interesting to note which e30s have the "auto only" pedal box as i've never seen one after wrecking a heap of e30s).

[ATTACH]124956[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]124957[/ATTACH]
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Good photo there - pretty self explanatory!

Would be interesting to know when BMW used the auto only pedal boxes. It's might be like the 45mm vs 51mm struts, or small vs large case diffs where sometimes BMW seemed to throw in whatever parts they had available to keep the production line running as there were some weird variations during the production run at times.

Eg. the auto cars with manual pedal boxes may have just been to use up some pedal boxes they had kicking around, or maybe later in the run they just used the one pedal box to simplify things.

Comment

My auto pedals in my 88 325i didn't have the threaded bits, but had the holes.

Comment

Working...
                        X