Want to do an M30 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to do an M30 swap

***Sorry about all the dead pictures in this thread. You can view all of the pictures here. Thanks!***

I'm looking to do an M30 swap into my little 325es. I've done just about everything i could to improve upon the engine but i think its time to go bigger, and higher revving. I have a couple of questions for the pro's that have one this before.

There are a few different types of M30s from different models, which one would be easiest to install, electronically and physically.
    It would make sence to me to just take the entire computer/wiring harness out of the doner m30 car and transplant it into mine. Would that match up to the existing stuff i have in the interior? or should i take a 325i wiring harness and use a 535i computer (both being 1.3 i believe?).
    Is there any power difference between the e28 models and the e34 models with the 3.5L, or elecrical difference?
    What should i do to the motor while its out? Cam, rebuild, etc. I'd like this beast to be smog legal also.
    How bout a turbo'd M30 from a 745i???
    Wonder what a flowmaster would sound like :)

Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice!

*EDIT: My pictures in this thread have moved and can only be seen here. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Last edited by JoeMadoo; 02-11-2015, 11:10 AM. Reason: Dead links
    '86 E30
    '05 E53 X5
    '72 Firebird
    '10 Prius
    '03 Tundra

I have an m30 taken apart and ready for a rebuild, I have a good transmission to go with it from a M535i. I also have the e30.de type 1 mounts for the swap, the e24 radiator, stock m30 exhaust and all the wiring and hoses and ecu and such to go with it. I can give you a complete parts list of what i have for the swap if you like, and can take pictures. I need to sell this stuff for I am doing a s50 swap.

Comment

That sounds awesome man, email me your stuff. joemadoo@yahoo.com
      '86 E30
      '05 E53 X5
      '72 Firebird
      '10 Prius
      '03 Tundra

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how much u charging for ur m30 stuff bimmer335is?
        Recent Rebranding!!
        Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
        E30 SM62/S62
        E30 M60 V8
        E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
        Instagram.com/garageaholic
        Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

You can take everything I got for 1300, NOW 900

from an '88 635csi with 166,000 miles

e24 automatic driveshaft
          e24 m30 short block
          e24 m30 head
          e24 radiator, fits perfectly in e30 chassis
          all e24 ecu and wiring, spark and wiring harness
          e24 stock exhaust to the cat, cat has been cut off
          e24 oilpan
          e34 oilpan painted white
          e28 m535i transmission
          e30.de type 1 mounts and stock mounts---SOLD
          crankscraper for the e24 m30---SOLD
          e24 m30 intake and intake parts, painted with krinkle coat
          m30 valve cover, painted with krinkle coat

Can give pictures for everything.
          thats the gist of it, the motor is almost in perfect condition because it was mated to an automatic.

you'll get the whole motor, but in pieces, the bolts are in place where they are supposed to be. For more money, I can put it back together, but it would be useless if your going to rebuild it anyways.
          Last edited by Bimmer335is; 10-12-2006, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Anyone want to elaborate on my first post?
            '86 E30
            '05 E53 X5
            '72 Firebird
            '10 Prius
            '03 Tundra

Comment

you can also use the e32 735i or iL M30 motor.
              the e28 raditator also fits.
              Dont forget about the driveshafts. You can find ones that fit. Cant remem off the top of my head. Otherwise, you need to get one made.

You may wish to change the FD ratio. With the increase of power, the engine can run at lower rpm, on the open road.

Also if you go switchable auto, my understanding is that you need the switchable auto engine loom aswel as the gearbox loom.

Comment

I have an e32 735i motor and couldn't be happier.. even better was that it was mated to an automatic!

I used either an '88 325 supereta DS or an '87 325e DS (has the bigger front guibo)

I have a 3.73LSD which gives me very impressive acceleration, but at high speeds, i'm running 3500rpms, but the car has so much torque that going with a 3.25 is fiiine.

I used the e28 radiator (from manual 535i) and have about a half inch of clearance from the rotor/distributor

If you decide to go automatic, you are dealing with ALOT of wiring headaches...
                Recent Rebranding!!
                Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                E30 SM62/S62
                E30 M60 V8
                E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                Instagram.com/garageaholic
                Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Did u run an electric fan with your M30 and what engine position did you use? I have a m30 thats still in an e23 735i that Im going to be using... what speed are u running at 3500rpm? with the m20 thats about 75-80 mph

Originally posted by M3fan4eva View Post
                  I have an e32 735i motor and couldn't be happier.. even better was that it was mated to an automatic!

I used either an '88 325 supereta DS or an '87 325e DS (has the bigger front guibo)

I have a 3.73LSD which gives me very impressive acceleration, but at high speeds, i'm running 3500rpms, but the car has so much torque that going with a 3.25 is fiiine.

I used the e28 radiator (from manual 535i) and have about a half inch of clearance from the rotor/distributor

If you decide to go automatic, you are dealing with ALOT of wiring headaches...

Comment

@JoeMadoo

I recently swapped my engine to a M30B35 and hopefully I could bring you some advise for your engine swap.

At first I was looking for a m20b25 that I could turbocharge. One day when I went to the junkyard searching for a suitable engine, I ran over this M30B35 and bought it for a quite reasonable price. I had almost none experience in BMW so I was a bit worried if the swap would go well.

Anyway, the engine was from an E28, the engine would have fit in the engine room if it wasn't for the oil pan which I had to change to one from a 535 E34, this made me change the oil pump because it wouldn't have fit in the new oil pan. So my first advice would be to use an engine from an E34, so you won't have to mess with changing oil pan's. They can be hard to find, at least here in Sweden. The M30 engine from an E34 can be mounted in the E30 engine room with just new motor mountings.
                    I cant tell you which tranny to use, but the trannys from all kind of M30 fits on any M30 block. I used a tranny from an 528 E28. Think it's called 260, a getrag. Next, you have to shorten your drive shaft. I did this by using the rear part of the drive shaft from my 318 and put it together with the front of the E28 528 drive shaft. This way the drive shaft became about 10 cm shorter, so the engine came in the right place.

I've uploaded some images of my swap here, http://medlem.spray.se/andersjoh12/Bilen/
                    But i recommend www.e30.de and especially http://wp1016621.wp027.webpack.hoste...120/f00120.htm if you want images of a swap. Altough I can't speak german that site helped me a lot.
                    -=E30 335=- Slightly modified :)

Comment

Joe,

this site should have most of the info you need.

Comment

I just bought a 88 735i 5 speed. I am looking for a 325i wiring harness to go with it. Is there anything else i need for this swap to work properly besides the engine brackets?
                        '86 E30
                        '05 E53 X5
                        '72 Firebird
                        '10 Prius
                        '03 Tundra

Comment

Anyone know the difference between the spark plug wires from a second generation M30 to a 3rd Generation M30? AKA e28 to e34, or e23 to e32.

Why do i have to spend 50 dollars more for the newer kind, they look identical.
                          '86 E30
                          '05 E53 X5
                          '72 Firebird
                          '10 Prius
                          '03 Tundra

Comment

I used a early M30 and later sparkplugs to go with the M1.3 conversion I did on the car,

I also used a M10 transmission and 320i E30 driveshaft,
                            Gunni
                            @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

Is there a way to use the older style spark plug wires and put the sensor on it instead of paying 50 bucks more for the newer set?
                              '86 E30
                              '05 E53 X5
                              '72 Firebird
                              '10 Prius
                              '03 Tundra

Comment

Working...
                              X