Paging George Graves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paging George Graves

I have everything off the M30 FINALLY!. I want to make it a shiny, nice motor like yours.

I know I have asked you before but I can't find the PM so I thought I'd post up so I couldn't forget.

What did you use to get the rust off the block of your M30?
    What kind of paint did you use? My block will be black also.

Also, not really just to you but are any of the numbers on the head indications of what model car this motor came out with?

I am getting a new head from Euroshark and am going to get a new timing chain installed when my mechanic installs the new head. I still can't get the bolt off and actually had the bit right. It just won't budge, Would it be alright to spray some anti seize on it?

bump because I see you're on.

Comment

The huge nut on the front of the engine is always a bitch because it's torqued to approximately 325ft/lbs!

Most paints will work on the blocks since they are iron. Prepping the block properly so it holds onto the paint is the tricky part, so make sure it's completely clean of all greases, oils, and loose rust scale. Use a wire brush of some sort and lacquer thinner. I painted my 335i block with black satin Rustoleum and it stayed nice for the couple of years that I owned it after the fact. My dad's euro 6 also has a Rustoleum painted block that has held up for around 4 years. If you want the ultimate, get some POR 15.
      '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Great thanks. I think I am going to use Rustoleum.

I really want to know what that jelly he used to get the surface rust off the block. It was a pink, jelly looking paste. He said he had to use a lot of elbow grease and about 3 coats but I would like to get this done in the next week.

It says its “navel rust jelly” . Where would I find this stuff? Autozone or more like a Home Depot?
        Last edited by Mastrcruse; 12-07-2007, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I'd search the internet or call around to local shops. I've never used the stuff, but I'm sure I've seen it at NAPA once or twice.
          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

The "navel rust jelly" is just one brand. It's a rust remover - KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE HEAD...(or anything you care about - like your eyes) You can often find it at hardware stores actually.

I used some glossy high temp paint for the block - I started with a good base coat (light) and then when thicker and thicker to get the gloss to it.

I also used paint on the head/timing chain cover. I used a "alumi-blast" if memory servers. You can find it at http://www.eastwoodco.com/index.jsp

You won't believe how much grease has "penetrated" into the metal. You literally have to wash, scrub, and scrub some more. The water bill for that month was around $80-100 to give you a clue.
            Last edited by george graves; 12-07-2007, 09:08 PM.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

awesome, thanks for the help. Pics to come

Comment

try going to autozone etc and getting some "engine block paint" it is made to withstand harsh degreasers etc and stay intact. it's avail in many different colors.

as for the navel jelly, that is what it is called, once you are done it leaves a coating to prevent further rust, this may interfere with the paint adhearing to the block. i'd invest in a cheap pressure washer, they are down to around $100 for a 1500 psi electric at the depot. that will make you life sooooo much easier when it comes to cleaning up greasyn things and it is easier on your water bill too. USE HEAVY DISHWASHING RUBBER GLOVES when using the navel jelly, it will soak through regular rubber gloves quickly and start to burn your hands.

once you have the rust removed, spray the block down with OVEN CLEANER, let it soak in and hose it off. this should get rid of 90% of the soaked in oil/grease on the block. when you are done wipe it down with a wax and grease remover (i use 3-M @ work ) let it dry then paint. after prepping it like this the paint wont come off your block and should lay down with out any fisheyes etc.
                seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

wow, awesome description thanks for the help.

The one thing that I am worried about is getting water in places it shouldn't be. There are no wires on the motor. The fan is still on and the head and block are still attached. What should I make sure to cover up really good? Should I put some paper towels in the holes or should I put the paper towels in the holes and then tape it up really good? I guess, I am asking how far I should go to contain the water to the block.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
                    wow, awesome description thanks for the help.

The one thing that I am worried about is getting water in places it shouldn't be. There are no wires on the motor. The fan is still on and the head and block are still attached. What should I make sure to cover up really good? Should I put some paper towels in the holes or should I put the paper towels in the holes and then tape it up really good? I guess, I am asking how far I should go to contain the water to the block.

Thanks again
                    i always DUCT tape the holes i don't want to get anything getting into. just wipe down EVERY surface (with the wax and grease remover)that you are going to tape shut FIRST. that way the tape will be guaranteed to stick to the surface without fail. if you want to be super safe you can spray some WD-40 of other water repelling spray lube down the intake/exhaust ports if they are open. this will repel any water (which shouldn't happen with the duct tape) that gets through and wont let the sitting water rust the valves. be careful with the oven cleaner around the head. oven cleaner can corrode/eat the head. if you already have everything REALLY clean and grease free you shouldn't have to leave it on for long. just trash bag the alum parts to be safe. if you get the power washer you'd be amazed what a gallon of POWER CLEAN (around $4.00 at autohole) and the power washer can do. blast the shit out of it first with out and cleaner. then see what is left to clean, coat the block with power clean (wear gloves! , this stuff will remove all traces of oil from your skin!!), have a beer or two, rinse, inspect, oven clean, have some food, rinse, blow dry if you have a compressor, wipe with wax and grease remover, paint (make sure it is warm enough for the paint to cure), go away and do something else, come back and marvel at your painting prowess and your work...maybe post pics to show off
                    Last edited by der affe; 12-08-2007, 09:42 PM.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Cool. Well this will be happening this week so hopefully I'll get some pics up. Thanks again for the help. I am not really worried, still will take precautions, about the head because I am getting a new one from Euroshark.

Thanks again for all the help

Comment

So I've got some oven cleaner and will be getting paint/navel rust remover tomorrow.

Here's my schedule:

Get up and go get the damn jelly/paint/degreaser & wax remover

1)Coat 1 of navel
                        2)coat 2 of navel
                        3) coat 3 of navel
                        -lunch and beer run break
                        4) Power wash block
                        5) Power clean
                        -beer
                        6) rinse
                        7)oven cleaner
                        8)rinse
                        9)blow dry with compressor
                        10) wax/grease remover
                        -dinner
                        11) paint

Comment

well, what was the end results?????
                          pic's????

Comment

Well I was crunched for time the last couple days.

This all will be happening actually this weekend. I am going to go get the rest of the supplies tomorrow. A lot of things will be happening with this motor in the next 2 weeks...and then she is going back in...I have been waiting to say that for a long time.

Comment

I'll be interested in the "bill" for all the supplies, paint, and disposables. What you think, about $100?
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                              X