$100 733i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$100 733i

on a recent trip to my local junkyard i came across an old e23 733i he said i can take the entire car for 100 bucks....do you think itd be worth it or not its an automatic though how involved would it be to do a five speed swap? oh btw the car i was hoping on putting it in is a 89 325i

do you have room for it? If so, why not. I loved my e23.
    "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

sorry i wasnt very specific...what i meant was i was plannin on taking the m30 out of it and putting it in my 325 ... will i run into computer problems after i swap with the 733 being originally an automatic if i mate it to a 5 speed.... does the 7 series radiator fit or does it haffta be a 5 series that kinda thing. any suggestions would help also

Comment

search for m30 swap info dude, there are alot of people that have done them

Comment

yes it is worth it. I'm doing a m30 swap to my e30 and my motor is out of an 86 735i... it had like 197,000 miles on it ( bout 25,000 more than my m20), but it has a fresh rebuilt head on it. I opened up the valve cover and it was so damn clean you eat of out it. I have a dinan ecu to boot..so when she's done she'll go like mad

Comment

I wouldn't put just any m30 in though, might as well put a strong m20b25 if you can't find a newer m30b35 imho.
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

we went again yesterday to get the hood open, but the cable for the hood release had busted off it (and all i had for a flashlight was my phone) sooooo turns out we havent got a look at it yet....does anyone happen to know alot about e23s which m30 did the 733i have

Comment

M30B32 3.2L 12v Inline 6. 181hp and 200ftlbs. Not sure if that uses Motronic or L-jetronic systems for management. Either one is archaic and dosent work all that well. The later M30s found in E34s work much better.

Originally posted by vlad
                Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                  I wouldn't put just any m30 in though, might as well put a strong m20b25 if you can't find a newer m30b35 imho.
                  I definetly don't agree with this the m30b35 isn't much better than the b32/b34 besides a few hp and supposedly if you run no cat that difference shrinks considerably. obviously the enigne will need to be looked at before the swap is done to ensure everything is alright but as far as strength of the m30 and torque the b32/b34 are pretty much equally as good as the b35.
                  Photoshop by O 16581 72452 5

Comment

If you already got an m20b25, is the effort to put an older m30 with just a tad more hp/tq. worth the effort ? Of course if you are going to boost it, the older block from what I read might even be a better option to go with, plus lower compression. Or if your m20 is bad etc... oh well, just my 2 cents.
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

well my m20 is on its last leg and i figured i could rebuild the m30 while my m20 was still in and other than the driveshaft issue it seems fairly straight forward e32 oil pan and pump different mounts.... well except in all the swaps ive seen theyve used 5 series radiatiors do the 7 series work too?
                      Last edited by -limp-; 12-19-2007, 01:08 PM.

Comment

well my m20 is on its last leg and i figured i could rebuild the m30 while my m20 was still in
                        Do it!

ive seen theyve used 5 series radiatiors do the 7 series work too?
                        I am not sure, if it looks like the same style as the 3 series (besides the hose locations) then give it a shot, you have one anyway right?
                        '86 E30
                        '05 E53 X5
                        '72 Firebird
                        '10 Prius
                        '03 Tundra

Comment

havent got the hood open yet but i could see its there through the grill but not the thikness or mounting or anything like that....i talked to the owner of the junkyard and he said the man drove it in there and was picked up by his wife....nothing wrong with it except a knock ,and the hood was stuck....since then the wheels and headlights are gone but everything else looks good

Comment

i think you might be better off finding a m30b35 with 5spd, At my uncles foreign auto salvage they have 3 of them 2 of which are 5 spd and he only wants about 500 each including tranny. and the HP and torque difference is considerable but idk about the catalytic converter business mentioned above.
                            97 tacoma 5 spd 4 cylinder
                            2001 330ci 5 speed
                            83 733i 5 speed, (FS)

Comment

The 3.2 is a great motor, and if the 733i is pre-1984 it will have the lightweight flywheel and hotter cam.

What a lot of you are failing to realize is the M30 is NOT about running to the red line, it's about a huge torque curve. The 3.2 with cam and flywheel is way more willing to run to the red line than a B35 is, and it only has ~30ft/lbs less max torque. Horsepower aside, you are taking a motor that is plenty strong enough to motivate a 5, 6 or 7 series, and putting it in a car that can potentially weigh up to 800lbs less than the car it came out of! A 3.2 with a mild cam upgrade, later electronics (059 ECU with Dinan chip for example) and some decent headers (Ireland Engineering has some for $425) would be awesome in an E30.
                              '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Working...
                              X