m30 with m10 radiator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30 with m10 radiator?

I know I could use it, but will it cool down things enough. Maybe a cooler thermostat too. Just a thought.... I will be getting a 535 radiator, not that I get "forum jumped". lol.
    84' 318i m30b35 swapped!

Not enough cooling.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I'd clarify and say not enough capacity. An s14 radiator is very small, and guys running 250+ HP s14 seem fine with them. But it's a smaller motor too cool, and anytime you are at max HP, you are most likely moving along at a steady clip with plenty of air flow.

The e28 radiator works great BTW - fits (have to cut the m20 brackets off the car). I never even use my fan unless I'm in 10-20 mph stop-and-go traffic, or at a long light, or at a drive thru - just FYI.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

^^^ e28 535 radiator works wonders. I barely get past 1/4 mark and I live in LA.

I also only had to cut one side of the tabs off, so you've got that to look forward to.
        www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

koo
          84' 318i m30b35 swapped!

Comment

no possible way that you will get by with an M10 radiator. Especially in FL
            Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
            That Guy.
            03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkmasta View Post
              you'll be boiling over sitting at traffic lights. id look for thermostats, those are a super cheap option to bringing engine temp down.

Comment

How about an M42 radiator, no fan/clutch and a 16" pusher fan? I believe thats what the PO used in the car but is there any other way to figure it out from looking?

Thanks

Comment

M42?

Comment

I would get the biggest rad, none of this m10/s14/m40 nonesense ;)
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Old thread, but I still think this idea is viable. The m10 radiator doesn't have the wide side tank that the m42 does. Someone has to have tried it. That or has found an aftermarket radiator with built in expansion tank. I know the m42 supposedly comes too close to the alternator, but I want to get ditch the bottle.

Comment

As a current owner of an M10 radiator, that thing has to be half the size of an e28 rad. There is no way coolant will spend a long enough time in it to get back down to a decent temperature, at the rate the M30 pump moves it.

It's also fairly thick, so unless you're mounting it offset to let the distributor cap have the personal space it so desperately needs, you'll have clearance issues.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Already have the distributor block off plate for wasted spark. No AC or PS, so the only belt will be the main water pump alternator belt. I expect the nose of the alternator pulley to be the only limiting factor in what fan I run.

That all aside, the point about cooling capacity is well taken, might have to find a aftermarket alum. radiator that fits with built in expansion tank.

The quest for empty fenders continues.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkmasta View Post
                            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by browntown View Post
                              might have to find a aftermarket alum. radiator that fits with built in expansion tank.
                              Never in the history of e28s has this been found.
                              Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X