anyone still doing m30 swaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^on that topic i have a cat cam that says no valve springs required
    but it would die at like 5.7k then put in some IE springs and it was making power to like 6.3k.

maybe stock cam experience alittle valve float being like 30 years old. idk maybe something to think about too.

also, for the m60 is that sorta a plug and play type of swap like the m30 where you just need motor mounts?

Comment

M60s certainly aren't P&P, bashing, relocation of bits are usually required.

Comment

Any vee engine in the e30 is a process. We are meant to have slant 6-shooters! :P
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          Any vee engine in the e30 is a process. We are meant to have slant 6-shooters! :P
          Except for that V6 that so many BMWs seem to acquire just as they are advertised for sale, that one only takes a keystroke or mouse click.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Except for that V6 that so many BMWs seem to acquire just as they are advertised for sale, that one only takes a keystroke or mouse click.
            Don't forget the Manuel transmission, and the Camero tag in the listing.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

I can tell you that my sales of M30 swap guides has plummeted in the last year. They are just not that popular anymore!
              Recent Rebranding!!
              Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
              E30 SM62/S62
              E30 M60 V8
              E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
              Instagram.com/garageaholic
              Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

They are harder to find, make less power than modern swaps, and are heavy/big to boot. Swappers want easy, hight HP, and lightweight. That math is a simple solve. :(
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

If only BMW had built an alloy block M30 when they switched to the "lightweight" M30B35 :) Could have had the best of all worlds, bulletproof reliability, HP and lightness!
                  My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

One thing I dislike about my M30 swap is that most people can't tell the difference from the M20. They think it's the engine that's supposed to be in the car. When I had my M60 swap everyone who looked under the hood knew that I shoved a V8 into this little car. Even if they weren't familiar with BMWs. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by st.petebiodiesel View Post
                      One thing I dislike about my M30 swap is that most people can't tell the difference from the M20. They think it's the engine that's supposed to be in the car. When I had my M60 swap everyone who looked under the hood knew that I shoved a V8 into this little car. Even if they weren't familiar with BMWs. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                      I fail to see how that's a bad thing, unless you are doing a swap for everyone under the sun, except for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by st.petebiodiesel View Post
                        people can't tell the difference from the M20. They think it's the engine that's supposed to be in the car.
                        Funny. The meets I've been to, the old timers surround my car and say things like "Yep! That's how BMW should have done it!" Not that I really care. 2nd gear in the twisties is what get's me to smile.

Originally posted by Matt-B
                        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Same thing last meet I went to - that, and a young guy who was in the middle of a M62 swap who took one look at my car and said he wished he'd gone with an M30 instead of the V8 given what a pain it had been to redo everything + astronomical cost by comparison. He asked about wiring and nearly cried when I said extend two injector wires and plug the DME in to the factory e30 harness :)
                          Last edited by lukeADE335i; 10-12-2019, 01:45 PM.
                          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Everything plugs and plays with this swap except for motor mount arms and e28 radiator mounts
                            which i just miged some nuts to the rad support. easiest engine swap ever.

Comment

m30 4 life
                              sigpic

Comment

I have an s52 sitting in my garage but it burns too much oil to drop in without at least getting the head rebuilt, and after pricing it out, an m30 swap is still probably going to be cheaper and easier to do. Bear in mind I have to BAR anything as I live in CA and OBD2 leaves a lot more room for error.

Plus I think the sohc engines sound so much better
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X