Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankshaft Position Sensor Question

Hello,

I bought a crankshaft position sensor part# 12141721968 as it still bogs down and dies when warm, and it doesn't get past 4500rpms. It is a 1991 M42 iC.
    I replaced it, but the car refused to start when I went to start it.
    Is it a plug-and-play scenario, do I need to adjust something or did I get a faulty one.
    Also, the sensor wire seems to be much bigger than the OE one, but I checked on multiple websites and that seems to be the correct one.

Thank you

The Bosch ones listed for the M42 often do not work out of the box for whatever reason. It should be P&P, but it just isn't.

Comment

Yes, I got the Bosch one. Is it faulty or can I get it to work?

Comment

Originally posted by paulpoko21 View Post
        Yes, I got the Bosch one. Is it faulty or can I get it to work?
        It's probably not exactly faulty as far as the manufacturer is concerned, just out of spec in some way the community has not determined. No one has yet been able to get a brand new one that does not work initially to work by changing anything that I know of.

Ideally someone needs to scope out the signal of the new one versus the old unit and then we would know, and possibly be able to engineer an inline fix.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

It's probably not exactly faulty as far as the manufacturer is concerned, just out of spec in some way the community has not determined. No one has yet been able to get a brand new one that does not work initially to work by changing anything that I know of.

Ideally someone needs to scope out the signal of the new one versus the old unit and then we would know, and possibly be able to engineer an inline fix.
          Thank you!

Comment

The funny thing is that the vastly more expensive "Genuine BMW" sensor is also a Bosch part. As far as the sensor heat itself, it looks identical from the outside, with the only obvious difference being the connector shape.

I have an oscilloscope, so if someone wants to loan me one of the not-working-properly Bosch ones, I can run some captures to see if the signal is different.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
            X