Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know if M44 cam gears will work on m42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody know if M44 cam gears will work on m42?

Anybody know if M44 cam gears will work on m42? Anything to be worried about/look out for? M44: 11311247951 M42: 11311727446

obviously the m42 gears are NLA, m44 might be more readily available which will save some of us from using old gears.

They will work if you add a dowel pin in the same location as on the M42 gears. This is basically a job for a machine shop.

That said, the gears rarely wear out, and pointy teeth alone are often just a variant of the OE part that was produced that way from new. Now, if your gears are wallowed out significantly or show serious edge wear/chipping you might want to replace them.

However, even the most worn set of M42 gears ever would likely work just fine with other new components since the nature of the gear set means that the chain basically cannot escape at the cam gears. Worst case, timing may be slightly altered.

Comment

thank you mate. I've managed to find 1x m42 sprocket, brand new never used.. and just trying to source a second one, my supplier found an m44 gear so just had to check, I guess I'll pass on it, hopefully I can find another lightly used m42 sprocket

Comment

You only need one M42 sprocket, but I am not sure what the consequences might be to using one M42 and one M44.

If you want to go another way and really break the bank Metric Mechanic might still have an M42 single row chain conversion kit around.

Add a photo of your current gears and we can assess in any case.

Comment

The cam position sensor only senses the dowel on the exhaust side, so I think that you would be fine with an M44 sprocket on the intake side. That assumes that the diameter and tooth pitch are the same, which I would guess that they are.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
          X