Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Chip do I have?

Hi folks,

I finally took a look at my ECU. I feel this is an OEM chip. Thoughts?

Taking it apart, I had to bend the aluminum and it felt like I was doing it the first time. Lends me to think this is stock.

All input appreciated. Thanks all!

Jason

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7038.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	10061421 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7037.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	10061422

1991 BMW 318is - AlpineWeiss II
    1991 BMW 318is - DiamondSchwartz
    1973 BMW 2002 Tii - Baikal
    2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 sport - Black

Yes, that is the original factory chip.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Thanks!

Thats cool then. I feel the car is peppy as it stands and so a bit more is even better. I think you recommended the ssquid chip.

If anyone has one they aren't using, hit me up!

Jason

Comment

Just don't expect a large change with a chip. It'll be an almost imperceptible change unless you go to whatever the new redline is.

Comment

I dunno, at least on the M42 the stock ignition maps are super duper conservative. Back in the day when I rocked a Conforti chip, which was not exactly the most in-depth tune, it made a pretty noticeable difference. Definitely not "feels like a new car" difference, but less of a slug for sure. I'd expect a tune from Sssquid to make more of a difference since it involves all maps, plus a number of quality-of-life adjustments to things that affect throttle response and idle.

IIRC the marketing for the Conforti chip claimed something like a 12 HP / 15ft-lb increase. Even if it is just 10 & 10, on an engine rated at 134bhp / 127ft-lbs that is a relatively big bump.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Just trying to temper expectations for a newer user, definitely think that the newer tune by sssquid is likely better than last gen products that probably haven't been updated in 15 plus years.

Comment

Thank you both. Always good to set expectations. I'm definitely not thinking behavior to be drastically different but as bmwman91 says, even 10 hp and 10 ft/lb would be noticeable.

At $300 the sssquid doesn't break the bank but it's not a casual purchase either so we will likely run what we have while we work on some paint and retrofit the AC.

I had the glove box down and decided today was the day to finally see what was in there.

Cheers -

Jason

Comment

Working...
              X