Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318is rattle at 3k RPM

Hey guys,

My car has been making a rattling/whirling noise at around 3-4k rpm while driving. In neutral the noise appears at a higher rpm, around 5.5k. The noise goes away when I put a small amount of pressure on the clutch for both in gear and in neutral. I have also noticed that the noise appears once the car has warmed up a bit. I looked around other threads but didn't come across anyone having these exact issues. Anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

Throwout bearing is the usual suspect when clutch position changes the sound.

Although the specifics you've described don't quite fit with my mental picture. Will see what others comment.

Comment

Any noise when driving? Any other issues with the transmission?

Hmmmm -

1991 BMW 318is - AlpineWeiss II
      1991 BMW 318is - DiamondSchwartz
      1973 BMW 2002 Tii - Baikal
      2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 sport - Black

Comment

Originally posted by jsnppp View Post
        Any noise when driving? Any other issues with the transmission?

Hmmmm -
        No other noises while driving except for the rattling that starts at 3k rpm. No issues with the transmission, gear shifts smooth and stays in gear. Don't see any leaks on the transmission either. The clutch is long overdue for a replacement though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cibby View Post

No other noises while driving except for the rattling that starts at 3k rpm. No issues with the transmission, word hurdle​ gear shifts smooth and stays in gear. Don't see any leaks on the transmission either. The clutch is long overdue for a replacement though.
          Have you found a solution to this problem?

Comment

Working...
          X