M42 Radiators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Radiators

Where do these typically fail? I've got a minor leak on the driver's side where the neck meets the hose, but can't tell if it's the hose or the neck.

Not sure if the radiator is the original one or not.

Thoughts?

replace #3 and #4

Originally posted by vlad
    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

No, it's leaking from where the hose connects to the neck:

Aren't the necks prone to failure, since this radiator is from the era of dumb plastic endtanks?

Comment

i had to replace mine because the plastic was cracked and broken in some areas, most likely what your problem is.

Comment

^^+1. I would go ahead and step up to an aluminum radiator like Mishimoto. I have one in my m42 and love it.

Comment

ah, theres a neck at the bottom too

Originally posted by vlad
            Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by RicerX View Post
              ^^+1. I would go ahead and step up to an aluminum radiator like Mishimoto. I have one in my m42 and love it.
              Where did you find one? I haven't found any all-aluminum radiators for the M42 from looking online.

Comment

another leak spot is the o-ring on the bleed screw, or from some yahoo overtightening cracking th enbipple the bleed screw goes into, and if it is just a slight leak, it will leak below #5 and leak down and look like it is coming out near the top hose

interesting that your battery is in the engine compartment, I thought they only did that in the verts, I have a 91 is also, and th ebattery is in the trunk.
                also nice cross brace, what brand

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                  No, it's leaking from where the hose connects to the neck:

Aren't the necks prone to failure, since this radiator is from the era of dumb plastic endtanks?

Comment

Originally posted by 3bvert View Post
                    another leak spot is the o-ring on the bleed screw, or from some yahoo overtightening cracking th enbipple the bleed screw goes into, and if it is just a slight leak, it will leak below #5 and leak down and look like it is coming out near the top hose

interesting that your battery is in the engine compartment, I thought they only did that in the verts, I have a 91 is also, and th ebattery is in the trunk.
                    also nice cross brace, what brand
                    Oh, that pic isn't from my car...just the first pic on google that I could find to illustrate my point.

I guess it could be that o-ring but I'm leaning towards this being the original radiator and it should probably be replaced any way.

Comment

These usually fail where the expansion tank meets the radiator, top and bottom. If it looks like it coming from near the neck but you can't spot the exact point, its the expansion tank connections as illustrated above.

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                        These usually fail where the expansion tank meets the radiator, top and bottom. If it looks like it coming from near the neck but you can't spot the exact point, its the expansion tank connections as illustrated above.
                        Is it the gaskets failing or the plastic of the radiator?

Comment

Originally posted by 3bvert View Post
                          or from some yahoo overtightening cracking th enbipple the bleed screw goes into, and if it is just a slight leak, it will leak below #5 and leak down and look like it is coming out near the top hose
                          \
                          my first thought. not necessarily the o ring on the screw, but over-tightening breaks the threads on the radiator, thus, requiring a new radiator...
                          It's Like That

Real BMWs have cylinders in multiples of 4

Comment

Originally posted by RicerX View Post
                            WHICH ONE didja use in an m42 powered e30 ????

Comment

Originally posted by sennasixty8 View Post
                              WHICH ONE didja use in an m42 powered e30 ????
                              Also curious as to which radiator one would use with an M42 powered E30???????
                              '91 318is Alpine II- || HR Sport || Bilstein Sport || Poly RTAB || Treehouse FCAB || Poly Motor Mount || Poly Tranny Mount || Poly Diff mount || IE Sway Bar || BA HP Coils/Wires || 19# Injectors || SSR Comps w/10mm spacers || Hawk Pads || Fog Delete || Magnaflow Exhaust || Z4 3.0 SSK ||

Comment

Working...
                              X