Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 won't rev pass 3500???? Bogs.

New to the e30's please help.

Just purchased 92 318 ic. Can not rev pass 3500 rpm. Feels like its hitting rev limit. Engine code throwing 1244 which is either camshaft position or crank position sensor. I figured I'll just tune it up and change the sensors. Catalytic converter is also bad, will the cat cause these bogging issues.

NEW parts
    Spark plug wires
    Spark plugs
    Crank position sensor
    Camshaft position sensor
    Intake boot
    Thermostat

Reset the computer by dis connecting the battery. Car still does this. What should I check next? Located in Ontario CA. Any other suggestions? Gonna try to fix the cat today and also get new fuel filter in.

TIA

Had a similar problem recently my car would only go up to 4k rpm and it would bog. Turned out to be a bad fuel pump. Clogged cats I think also can make your car bog. Isay check your fuel pump, afm, and if you hace access to another ecu try that. Or it could also be out of time.

Comment

Going to change the cat today. Already cleaned the afm. Gonna check fuel system tonight. Weird thing is 1244 still pops up??? After changing out the 2 sensors.

Comment

Could be the computer. But I tapped lightly on my gas pedal and my car would bogg and would feel like it would die ( I also heard lightly tapping the gas pedal is bad for the pump). But that's how I checked it was bad. I lightly tap on my gas pedal now and it doesn't cut out or anything funny.

But I think it could be an ecu problem your having.

Comment

What ecu # do I need to look for? Guy close by here has 175 for sale. Will that work?

Comment

Originally posted by Draco02 View Post
            What ecu # do I need to look for? Guy close by here has 175 for sale. Will that work?
            replace your fuel filter and fuel pump first, if you had a bad ecu the car wouldnt start

Comment

Will do that tonight and cross my fingers.
              Thanks.

Comment

Update:
                Just changed the fuel pump and fuel filter last night and have new cat in the car. Idle seems to be much better and is not jumping around much after fuel pump and filter change. The car still will not rev pass 3-3.5k rpm...
                Still showing code 1244. Any suggestions???
                I am thinking of changing TPS next and another ecu??? How do I check if TPS is working? How do I check if afm is good?
                Thanks in advance. Going to be a long weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco02 View Post
                  Update:
                  Just changed the fuel pump and fuel filter last night and have new cat in the car. Idle seems to be much better and is not jumping around much after fuel pump and filter change. The car still will not rev pass 3-3.5k rpm...
                  Still showing code 1244. Any suggestions???
                  I am thinking of changing TPS next and another ecu??? How do I check if TPS is working? How do I check if afm is good?
                  Thanks in advance. Going to be a long weekend.
                  Put a multimeter to the pins and open and close the throttle. I knew mine was bad because around 75% to 100% throttle it went to 0.

Comment

I've never tested with voltage meter before so please help me understand the steps.
                    Where do the set the meter to? And which pins on the TPS do I touch? Does it matter where red and black goes?
                    Update:
                    Just swapped another ecu and that is doing the same thing and also showing code 1244. I've also purchased a used AFM to try that as well.
                    Thanks!

Comment

I was going to say fuel pump also by your initial post.
                      But now it just may be the DME.

I happen to have one fs too. :D

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

i have the same exact problem. happened after i switched m20s and put a new 173 in. I rebuilt the m20 and know i timed it corrrectly. Id say that ecu is the most likely culprit in both cases

The Build:
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

UPDATE:
                          New ICV = still can't rev pass 3500. Code "1244"
                          New TPS = still not it. Same code.
                          Swapped in another 175 ECM= still same thing.
                          I've been driving it and is fine up to about 3500 and just cuts on me.
                          Each time that I swapped out a part I would reset the ECM by taking negative off and checking codes before starting. Getting "1444". But then "1244" is still there.
                          Could the NEW crank sensor be BAD??? Or should I get a factory new sensor?
                          Holy cow! Don't know what else to check or please tells if I did something wrong here?
                          Or should I try another ECM??? Is there someone in SoCal with good running m42 near by I can borrow Or test the ECM's I have???
                          Thanks
                          Thanks again.

Comment

...hit the local yards, where in socal are you??
                            did you check the throttle cable??
                            Last edited by ///digitalme; 03-05-2011, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Could cam timing be off? Forgot to mention this was a lien sale from mechanics who replaced the head for Previous owner that never picked it up. Could there be something with the head that could cause this? I opened the valve cover with tdc mark on front pulley and see that this motor has adjustable cam sprockets. Where should this be set at for stock??? Any advice?
                              I'll check throttle cable but I have plenty more pedal when the motor cuts out. What ic the head was milled too much that it caused cam timing to be off???
                              Any ideas???

Comment

Working...
                              X