Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camshaft? Loud 'diesel' ticking, running rough

Car Down. Car down.
    Went to start it up today after school, it comes to life very roughly.
    Car sounded like a diesel, at idle, and while going through the gears.
    I limped it to the German Autohaus two blocks from my school, and the shop owner gave it a look and was thinking its the Camshaft.
    With that, I'm afraid of some further damage.
    Of course, he said that it will need the valve cover to come off to further investigate. However, I'm thinking that I, possibly with the help of some of you guys, could figure this one out.
    I then limped the car home with hazards on and left it there. Now, here comes the troubleshooting part. What does this sound like to you guys?
    I have been maintaining the car very religiously. I just did an oil & filter change a few weeks ago.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
    Car Down. Car down.
    Went to start it up today after school, it comes to life very roughly.
    Car sounded like a diesel, at idle, and while going through the gears.
    I limped it to the German Autohaus two blocks from my school, and the shop owner gave it a look and was thinking its the Camshaft.
    With that, I'm afraid of some further damage.
    Of course, he said that it will need the valve cover to come off to further investigate. However, I'm thinking that I, possibly with the help of some of you guys, could figure this one out.
    I then limped the car home with hazards on and left it there. Now, here comes the troubleshooting part. What does this sound like to you guys?
    I have been maintaining the car very religiously. I just did an oil & filter change a few weeks ago.
    Tensioner, guides. Also check to see if you have loose bolts in the oil pan, pan shifts and the pump sucks in air instead of oil.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Have you ever dropped your oil pan? If not start there, and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by trackjunkie21 View Post
        Tensioner, guides. Also check to see if you have loose bolts in the oil pan, pan shifts and the pump sucks in air instead of oil.
        Can you elaborate on the pumping air instead of oil? I think my car does this on start ups. It sounds like a loud grind. I was thinking it's the oil pump but don't know what to make of it.
        -Pierre
        1987 535is
        1988 325is

Comment

Originally posted by e30nub View Post
          Can you elaborate on the pumping air instead of oil? I think my car does this on start ups. It sounds like a loud grind. I was thinking it's the oil pump but don't know what to make of it.
          There's a thread over on M42club about this.
          When it happens you lose oil pressure, engine fails catastrophically.

Comment

Drop the lower oil pan (easy-peasy) and look for anything in there that isn't oil. Pull the valve cover (also easy) and check the chain tension. There shouldn't be much slack at all.

The timing chain idler sprocket in my engine lost its bearings (literally; they were in the oil pan), allowing enough slack in the chain for it to slip on the cam sprocket. Result: bent intake valves. Amazingly, the engine still started, but I immediately wished it hadn't, the noise was so bad.

Search around in here, look at some of my past posts. You should find enough information to get you started.

Comment

Ok guys. Fail here.
              Went back to the German auto garage near my house, and it seems that they had a rather large oil spill yesterday.
              Sure enough, I have caused a BP oil spill throughout my street on my neighborhood.
              So I've been scrubbing the whole damn street for hours now.

RIP oil pan.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Really?

Come on dude learn how to inspect your car, at least a little bit, before jumping onto the forms.

Comment

Loud noise coming from engine

Step 1: Check oil

Comment

No no dude, I checked the oil and it wasn't low enough to cause any worries.
                    It happened very promptly. I think I know how to inspect my car, thank you.
                    It's just a little tough when its dark outside, and you're cramped on time.
                    Plus, when this noise had begun to come around infrequently a few months ago, my oil pain was just fine, and so was my oil.
                    I appreciate the advice that you guys gave me in this thread.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

i have some advice for you. dont take it to german auto whatever and save yourself some money. In doing so, fix it yourself and learn something about your car as well

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                      Ig:ryno_pzk
                      I like the tuna here.
                      Originally posted by lambo
                      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Yes sir! I will be doing it myself.
                        I enjoy every opportunity to learn something new, and saving myself money.
                        I've never given my car to the hands of a mechanic, other than getting my car to pass smog, and when our family friend/local volvo mechanic taught me how to do my suspension up on his shop's jack.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

wait so did u bust ur pan?

-NICK

Comment

Im confused too. Did you smack the oil pan on the way home from the shop? You say they had a big oil spill yesterday. Is that where it happened?
                            sigpic

Comment

Interesting...
                              sigpic
                              HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                              " enjoy the show "

Comment

Working...
                              X