Stripped pan bolt holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped pan bolt holes

So like 3 or 4 of my pan bolt holes are completely stripped. Like as in the bolts have fallen out because they were so loose. Its not leaking oil or anything, but what could i do to fix this? New upper pan? new lower pan?
    Tap the hole?

Some advice would be super helpful.

-NICK

Threaded insert would be the way I'd go. Drill it larger, thread it and thread in the insert. Ends up better then new. I like Recoil brand:

Recoil products use high-quality materials to provide long, reliable life in a wide range of applications. View our wide range of Recoil products today.

Comment

First off – it’s cool that you want to acknowledge this as preventative maintenance.

If it’s not leaking – you’ve got breathing room to gather everything (gaskets, bolts, helicoils, etc.)

The pans are made of aluminum – and it’s common for them to strip. Helicoils are your friend. It’s common for upper pan bolts to drop into the lower pan (you may find one or two).

Good news: you don’t need to get whole, new pans.
      Bad news: getting upper and lower pans out, cleaned up, and replaced does take an amount of work.

Note 1: you don’t want metal shavings in engine – so it’s recommended to remove the pan(s) prior to helicoil operation.

Note 2: use blue loctite upon installation of bolts and use caution torqueing them down.

Note 3: there is an updated (nylon) oil pressure valve which is accessible when upper pan is removed. (good to replace). Original valves are made of metal – and can seize – but honestly, I’ve never heard of one seizing either.

Note 4: some (including myself) opt to upgrade from the OE grade 8 bolts to grade 10 available from BMA parts.

Note 5: to remove upper pan from an m42, dismount steering rack down from subframe, loosen motor mount nuts from below, and jack engine up a bit with a jack on transmission. This will give you clearance needed to get upper pan out.

Different people use different sealers – or no sealers – on gaskets, so research and make your best judgement there. Stay away from cork – but I don’t think anyone makes cork gaskets for these engines anyway.
      -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Thanks for all the info Simon.

I actually already have dropped my pan and tightened my bolts up.

They were all super tight, meaning the PO must have done it. BUT the HACK who pulled the pan before me was an idiot. Like five of the holes were completely gone and missmatched hardware all over.

This is why im having this whole problem.

-NICK

Comment

10-4
          Mis-matched shit would piss me off too.

Well, if running helicoils means pulling the pan - again, I wouldn't want to risk shavings in the oil system - then I'd just say "f*ck it" for now since it's not leaking.. and keep an eye on it.

Comment

i'm just gonna leave this here.. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
              Thanks for all the info Simon.

I actually already have dropped my pan and tightened my bolts up.

They were all super tight, meaning the PO must have done it. BUT the HACK who pulled the pan before me was an idiot. Like five of the holes were completely gone and missmatched hardware all over.

This is why im having this whole problem.
              My M42 has the same problem except he stripped every single one! Most of which either the bolts fell out or he failed to replace them, Found 4 different type of bolts

Comment

the bolts are cheap so I don't understand why people don't just replace them. i think it's just pure laziness.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                ---------------------------------
                89 E30 S52
                ---------------------------------
                Transaction Feedback.

Comment

My only concern with this would be a sudden major loss of oil due to the pan getting too loose. My upper pan seeps a bit of oil onto the rear of my lower pan. But i didnt wanna pull everything apart when i did the lower pan drop/clean/paint/new gasket.

-NICK

Comment

I had one bolt strip out on the Lower to Upper pan outside lip. Since is was only one, and one of the last ones to be torqued, I opted for a slightly longer bolt and added a nut to the other side.
                    sigpic

Comment

Looks like I stripped a few of my bolts. Now, one of them fell out and I'm starting leak oil again. (I just finished installing a new pan, and put fresh oil in) :(

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Darn :( Luckily my pan doesnt leak any oil. (knock on wood)

Maybe the mating surface between ur upper and lower pan arnt flat anymore?

-NICK

Comment

Working...
                        X