318is runs great until warmed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318is runs great until warmed up

My car runs great when its just started up and not at normal temp, but once i take it around the block a few times it starts to choke out in 2nd gear between 2 and 3 thousand rpm but it runs through the rest of the gears fine. When it just sits and idles after it wants to choke out and die. I did the mess under the intake but it doesn't have fresh fuel or fresh oil in it would that help ? I'm waiting to register it on tuesday so I can get fresh fuel in it and do an oil change.

Originally posted by gannett43 View Post
    My car runs great when its just started up and not at normal temp, but once i take it around the block a few times it starts to choke out in 2nd gear between 2 and 3 thousand rpm but it runs through the rest of the gears fine. When it just sits and idles after it wants to choke out and die. I did the mess under the intake but it doesn't have fresh fuel or fresh oil in it would that help ? I'm waiting to register it on tuesday so I can get fresh fuel in it and do an oil change.
    U just answered your own question, also change your temp sensor and oxygen sensor.
    Originally posted by bmwm42
    PNW vulture pm me for parts
    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

sweet hopefully this solves everything. Ive had this car for a year now and never driven it daily on the road (no license when i purchased it)

Comment

So solved that problem there was something unplugged, but its over heating now, I filled it with coolant and it starts smoking after about 15 minutes of driving and my needle is buried in the red. on the block under my coolant pipe theres liquid leaking from somewhere but i cant see anything. Im taking off the intake mani and trying to figure out whats going on.

Comment

Uh oh. Maybe cracked head.

-NICK

Comment

NEVER let it get to the red....head is probably toast
            Originally posted by bmwm42
            PNW vulture pm me for parts
            Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

How can I check to make sure that the head is or isnt craked, just visually inspect all around?

Comment

You can get a hydrocarbon test kit, to test the coolant. If there are HC's in the coolant, you have a BHG or crack...
                :wgaf:

PNW BMW Crew ///
                '93 325iS
                '99 528iT

Comment

Originally posted by gannett43 View Post
                  How can I check to make sure that the head is or isnt craked, just visually inspect all around?
                  compression test, cylinder leakage test. pull plugs and look into the combustion chamber for coolant.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                  Ig:ryno_pzk
                  I like the tuna here.
                  Originally posted by lambo
                  Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                    compression test, cylinder leakage test. pull plugs and look into the combustion chamber for coolant.
                    Just the latter - Open the cooling system while doing a leakdown, and see if you get bubbles!
                    :wgaf:

PNW BMW Crew ///
                    '93 325iS
                    '99 528iT

Comment

Originally posted by SiGmA_X View Post
                      Just the latter - Open the cooling system while doing a leakdown, and see if you get bubbles!
                      THIS! any bubbles and the head gasket is done.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X