Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'91 M42 long start... really long crank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 M42 long start... really long crank.

My recent M42 has been having a hard time starting. Almost as if it doesn't want to at all. Once started it idles fine, a tad low but holds steady. Now, while driving for the first time of any given day (hot or cold) in 2nd gear at about 2,600rpm it'll want to stall and nearly die. If you get into third gear and drop the rpm's it's fine or above 2,600rpm in 2nd.

The real issue is the ridiculously long crank to get it to turn over. To give an idea, my last M42 powered car took let's say 5 cranks to fire up. This car takes a good solid 12-15.

Any suggestions? Going to clean the AFM out a bit this next weekend and poke around a little. The mess under the intake was resolved by the PO but, the TB heater plate is still connected. Not sure if this does or would even affect anything.
    Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Man. That sounds weird.

My first guesses would be ECU or FPR.

The stall @ 2600 is only the first time you drive it?
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Sounds like it could be the FPR or fuel pump. Perhaps the pressure isn't staying in the fuel rails and it has to reprime to get fuel flowing. By the way, when is the last time you changed out your fuel filter?
      sigpic

Comment

gonna say fpr as well...

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

How old is the fuel filter?

Check to see if the throttle body is clean.

John
          The Revolution will not be televised.

Comment

I don't have the stalling problem, but mine does take forever to start, especially when it's cool or cold. When it's warm, it'll usually fire right away, but during the winter it'll crank for 5-10 seconds (perhaps longer) before catching and then I'll have to continue to spin the starter to give it enough momentum. It's never failed to start, but it sure needs a kick in the ass to get going sometimes. Fuel pressure has been suggested to me, as well, but I've balked at buying the $60 fuel pressure regulator until I can test the whole system.

Comment

I'll check into the FPR ASAP. That actually makes sense.

As for the fuel pump, I'm not positive. Nor the fuel filter. I'll check both of those as well.

The FPR might be telling though. The car sat for almost a year and a half. It's been gone through by our local detailing guru, John Parker as that's who I bought it from. Runs strong as hell once it's warm. Although, I'm not entirely used to having a working fan and corresponding fan shroud ;) Makes it sound like a wind tunnel up front.
              Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Barely starting at this point. Fuel filter looks fairly clean. FP is pumping gas just fine. Not sure why it's refusing to start. It's juuust barely starting after a good solid 15-20 seconds crank.
                Need a part? PM me.

Comment

Mine is starting to do this exact thing. Takes WAY too long to start. And about a week ago it would start on half a crank.

-NICK

Comment

check the sensors cps
                    Originally posted by bmwm42
                    PNW vulture pm me for parts
                    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Man, we have got to build a test stand for injectors.

You let an injector sit with 60PSI on it for 2 minutes, you will know if the thing dribbles.

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Its def not the injectors (at least for me) because when I turn the car to the on position and let pressure build in the rail, it starts normally. I really think its the FPR

-NICK

Comment

Get this... it was the battery. Still a bit of a crank but, the rpm and idle are solved. Crank is tolerable.
                          Need a part? PM me.

Comment

Working...
                          X