All Motor vs Boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Motor vs Boost

So I've recently acquired a small tick in my motor and I'm looking to keep the m42...I'm a fan of good gas mileage! lol! But my question is how do these motors do when built? I'm not goin for crazy numbers. I just want something with a little more get up! I've heard they can't hold lots of boost but they are good on a steady 10lbs and I've heard they are really good N/A motors! But idk what to do! If I could hear some pros and cons and opinions that'd be great! Thanks!

Go boost....it's more fun, and worth the work, you feel it when you hit the pedal. If I didn't live in Germany, I would still be driving DSM's.
    -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

yeah but I just feel like N/A brings way less problems! And you run a much lower risk of blowing something!

Comment

N/A power is going to cost you something. But if that is what you want then.

Get pod filter and heat shield
        Chip
        Exhorts
        M20 Fly Wheel

You would probably go from about 140hp to 150-160hp with that

If you want to get a bit more serious get the head worked over maybe a MM head or Vac Head with new cams and a chip to suit. You maybe able to get 165hp-170hp from that. Then anything after this is allot of money you could go all out and get a MM 2100 rally engine 200hp for $8500.

Then there is still more you can do like ITBs Standalone engine management, low friction coatings, ceramic coating the squash area. Once you get into this area you are looking at S42 spec engine 250hp+ and probably $20,000+

On the other hand you can get 200-250hp for a few grand with a turbo DJ will chime in and fill you in on that part.
        sigpic

Comment

sup.

budget turbo it for 1k.

Or do what i did and spend way too much money

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
            sup.

budget turbo it for 1k.

Or do what i did and spend way too much money
            What'd exactly did you spend too much money on? And how are the gains?

Originally posted by yert315
            Your mother is plug n play

Comment

Budget turbo for 1k is hard to do.

Comment

^
                SR20DET used turbo
                Pop your mainfold upside down
                Throw in a ebay intercooler
                Attach RRFPR
                Get a 255lph fuel pump
                Insert 45#injectors

Then have a sandwich and admire your work.
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I know just how "Easy" it is. I've done it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                    Yeah, I know just how "Easy" it is. I've done it.
                    true. and its not very reliable. well maybe at lower boost but stock internals @ 9-10 psi you need a tune and better fuel delivery thats what costs money.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                    Ig:ryno_pzk
                    I like the tuna here.
                    Originally posted by lambo
                    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

So pretty much the easiest way to get any amount of power is to just do a swap? May as well do a e36 motor swap...ugh...bye bye gas mileage

Comment

^
                        Depends on how much you know, how attentive to detail you are and what you call easy. Personnaly I would call turbo M42 easy might take a bit longer but not any harder then a good Mxx/Sxx swap.

But that is up to you Goodluck
                        sigpic

Comment

ehhh, do the motor swap.
                          you can always turbo that later if you feel the need.

and your mpg would probably be close to the same fromt he m50 to a turbo m42.
                          (turbo does not help mpg, unless the car came with it from factory, and factory says it gets good mpg).

or, since you said your motor has a tick, you could do a 100 shot of NOS and call it an EPIC day :)

Comment

yeah im thinking i might just swap cause i mean yeah the motor will be bigger but the car is lighter than an e36 so mpg might be around the same!

Comment

have you driven a swapped car?
                              if not do so, more than enough power. if you want more, and want to keep it NA, then s50 cams.

Comment

Working...
                              X