Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using 15-40 delo 400?

Hey Guys,

I've looked in many different site and didn't get a straight forward answer to my questions. I have a m42 with about 250k on it and I would love to use either 15-40 Delo 400 or Rotella. I'm a big fan of those oil since I use to run em in my turbo cars. I've read everywhere that is is good to run 5-40 synthetic. But my question is would it be good choice to run the delo 400 or rotella in this engine?

Thanks

This is a can-of-worms question – in that there are so many arguments to be made for a variety of lubricants. It’s like the Ford/Chevy/Mopar thing – mostly depends on what you grew up around.

fwiw – I plan on running 5w40 Mobile 1 synthetic after ~1K miles of Castrol GTX (dino) – after having replaced all gaskets.

Bottom line: use what you’ve been happy using – and keep it clean.
    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

I run 0-40 mobil 1 full synthetic and love it!!
      sigpic
      HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
      " enjoy the show "

Comment

I never had a problem with it in my turbo car. loved it especially because it is so high on zddp. I'm just wondering would it be alright in the stock m42..

Comment

Originally posted by keada714 View Post
          I never had a problem with it in my turbo car. loved it especially because it is so high on zddp. I'm just wondering would it be alright in the stock m42..
          in short answer yes. For colder weather consider dropping to a lower weight maybe... other than that itll work fine

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
              fwiw – I plan on running 5w40 Mobile 1 synthetic after ~1K miles of Castrol GTX (dino) – after having replaced all gaskets.

Bottom line: use what you’ve been happy using – and keep it clean.

I too plan on running (Castrol)10w/30 synthetic AFTER having run some 10w/30 Castrol GTX after the refresh.

Mobil 1 also have a 5w-50 'rally formula', saw it on the shelf the other day. Whadda ya guys think?? '50' too much??

BTW, if you guys flush the motor with 1qt ATF in the oil, how long do you leave it in??
              -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

I flush with every oil change - I Add 1 Pint of Marvel Mystery Oil - 50 Miles be for the Change. I change between 3K and 4K, Using 5/30 Mobil 1 Full Syn', Keeps Internals & Journals Clean from Sludge / Varnish build up. Been doing this for 30 + Years on all makes and models. GL

Comment

Originally posted by MikeDE
                  I too plan on running (Castrol)10w/30 synthetic AFTER having run some 10w/30 Castrol GTX after the refresh.

Mobil 1 also have a 5w-50 'rally formula', saw it on the shelf the other day. Whadda ya guys think?? '50' too much??

BTW, if you guys flush the motor with 1qt ATF in the oil, how long do you leave it in??
                  Ha! Great minds..

50? meh - I think that would only be benifical if you lived in a super-hot climate.

Also - I currently have a quart of ATF in the oil. From what I've read (and what I plan) - is that you want something like that in there short-term.. say ~200 miles-ish.
                  -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
                    Ha! Great minds..

50? meh - I think that would only be benifical if you lived in a super-hot climate.

Also - I currently have a quart of ATF in the oil. From what I've read (and what I plan) - is that you want something like that in there short-term.. say ~200 miles-ish.
                    Could you explain? I've honestly never heard that.
                    91 318is M50 swapped
                    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

ATF has a ton of detergents in it. It helps clean out the oil passages in the lifters.

The M42 doesn't have rockers or solid lifters, so the ZDDP content of the Rotella or other "diesel oils" isn't as important.
                      Originally posted by Gruelius
                      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
                        ATF has a ton of detergents in it. It helps clean out the oil passages in the lifters.

The M42 doesn't have rockers or solid lifters, so the ZDDP content of the Rotella or other "diesel oils" isn't as important.

Thanks for addressing this KenC. I also realized this and not hesitated to use the delo i bought.. Got 5 gallon of it... -__-

Comment

is 15-50 oil ok to use???

Comment

My friend's brother work for BMW and he recommends 15-40 for the m42 so that's what I've been using. I'm currently using 15-40 rotella right now and it's been fine so far. I haven't really been driving it much so I can't really compare it to the delo I was using before.

Comment

i run mobil 1 synthetic 0w-40 i actually have 5w-30 right now but im gonna switch to 5w-40 next oil change.

Comment

Working...
                              X