No announcement yet.

Best M42 Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My M42 OE clutch is fairly new, so I'll stick with that for now. The flywheel is the original so I wouldn't mind getting a lighter one.

Any suggestions on weights or brands?
    1991 318is - Daily/weekend track car.

An on-ramp is a terrible thing to waste...

Comment

i wanted OEM peace of mind, so i got the single-mass flywheel from a non-AC EDM M42 car.
      past:
      1989 325is (learner shitbox)
      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
      1985 323i baur
      current:
      1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

^^ That's what I was thinking of finding but I'm having trouble tracking one down. Then after reading, the M20 one is lighter then the M42 single mass. I might try this out.
        Last edited by InNeedOfBoost; 01-21-2013, 06:54 PM.

Comment

m20 flywheel is lighter; the clutch that goes with it is heavier. polar moment of inertia may be better with that setup, but weight is the same. just so you know what you're getting for the effort.
          past:
          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
          1985 323i baur
          current:

Comment

Yea, I actually found another thread on M42club about weights.

The clutch and flywheel assemblies together on both the single mass M42 and M20 end up weighing in at the exact same and the M42 doesn't require modification to fit.

Where did you find your M42 single mass?

Comment

Originally posted by InNeedOfBoost View Post
              Yea, I actually found another thread on M42club about weights.

The clutch and flywheel assemblies together on both the single mass M42 and M20 end up weighing in at the exact same and the M42 doesn't require modification to fit.
              EDIT: the below applies to the M42 DUAL-MASS....I didn't notice that he was referring to the M42 single-mass above. But those are damn near impossible to find around here....and M20's there are plenty of em :)

In case anyone wants to know:

The M42 dual-mass flywheel+clutch+pressure plate is 35 lbs. (flywheel is 26lbs).
              M20 single-mass fw+clutch+pp is 30lbs. (flywheel is 16lbs)

Basically, the M20 setup is lighter by about 5lbs AND it has more surface area for the clutch, for those running more power....

M20 full assembly

M42 full assembly
              Last edited by irish44j; 01-21-2013, 08:44 PM.
              Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop
              visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

i think he is referring to a single mass M42 flywheel OEM???

also If it hasnt been said yet, mustang injectors for m42 are a pretty sweet cheap mod. You gain no power its just a updated 4 pintle spray injector as opposed to the single pintle oem ones

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                Ig:ryno_pzk
                I like the tuna here.
                Originally posted by lambo
                Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

yeah, i was unclear, sorry.

single-mass flywheel was an expensive bit. ask shops that have BMWNA connections.
                  past:
                  1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                  1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                  1985 323i baur
                  current:

Comment

Yea, sorry...I was referring to the single mass M42 flywheel. From what I read in a few places, the M42 SINGLE mass + clutch + pressure plate weighs the same as the M20 setup.

Of course, it goes back to the M20 setup requiring modifications and the M42 SM being ridiculously hard to find.

Comment

I've got the single mass non ac fw lightened to 18 pounds with a stock clutch and it's great

-NICK

Comment

^^ That's basically what I want to do...just need to find one, and for a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by dk View Post
                          yeah, i was unclear, sorry.

single-mass flywheel was an expensive bit. ask shops that have BMWNA connections.
                          yeah, I ninja-edited before I saw your post :)
                          Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by InNeedOfBoost View Post
                            Yea, sorry...I was referring to the single mass M42 flywheel. From what I read in a few places, the M42 SINGLE mass + clutch + pressure plate weighs the same as the M20 setup.

Of course, it goes back to the M20 setup requiring modifications and the M42 SM being ridiculously hard to find.
                            the "modifications" for the M20 setup are almost nothing. Take the spacer off your stock flywheel, shave about 2mm off the lower oil pan ribs, and use an M20 starter (direct bolt-up) and M20 flywheel bolts. It is really very simple and can be done in literally minutes..... Even with the starter, it's probably cheaper than what you'd pay for an M42 single-mass, since you can find M20 fW's dirt cheap - plus the M20 has more clutch surface area with the same weight.
                            Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

just for discussion's sake, I must ask the question:

Does a heavier, dual-mass wheel featuring vibration-dampening design help an m42 engine to last longer, as well as helping a g240 transmission last longer?

In other words: What are possible benefits to maintaining a factory dual-mass wheel on one of these cars?
                              -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Improved idle, but that's it. It might have a very minor effect on bearing wear as it would help dampen engine vibration, but I doubt it would be even measurably different.

Comment

Working...
                                X