M42 Specific exhaust-leak issue.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Specific exhaust-leak issue.....

On the m20 and m40, there is a ring gasket between the cat & catback sections of the exhaust.

On the M42, it is a press/pressure fit, w/o gasket, between the cat & catback. I cannot get this PITA to stop leaking. It sounds like shit at anything above 75% throttle.

I have already tried loosening the Trans-to-DP bracket to realign the flanges so they're straight, then tightened the spring-loaded hardware till it has just little bit of spring left. But now rather than the top leaking, it's the bottom.

I am seriously considering just welding up conventional flanges so I can use a gasket. Anyone?? I believe there is enough movement in the muffler hangers that I don't have to worry about overstressing anything. And I have the Trans-to-DP bracket that i'm willing to bet the majority of M42 cars are missing, so I have little worry about the mani cracking.
    -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

That's cause you are missing a gasket :D

# 2

IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
      That's cause you are missing a gasket :D

# 2

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&hg=18&fg=10
      Fail.

There is no gasket there. It sounds like your connections are corroded and bent enough not to give you a good seal. Have you tried wire brushing both areas? If they are pitted you might be S.O.L. I agree that having a muffler shop weld up a connector with a gasket is probably your best option. Surely that is better than having hot exhaust gas leaking out.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rjcaptsean View Post
        Fail.

There is no gasket there. It sounds like your connections are corroded and bent enough not to give you a good seal. Have you tried wire brushing both areas? If they are pitted you might be S.O.L. I agree that having a muffler shop weld up a connector with a gasket is probably your best option. Surely that is better than having hot exhaust gas leaking out.
        whoops LOL. thought he was referring to header and mid section... read it too quickly!
        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Tried the red Permatex Muffler & Tailpipe Sealer? I know it doesn't fix why its leaking, but it may keep it from leaking.

Comment

or just stop being a jew and get a new exhaust...

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
            Ig:ryno_pzk
            I like the tuna here.
            Originally posted by lambo
            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
              or just stop being a jew and get a new exhaust...
              Thanks for your valuable input Hitler, but the catback is new:finger:

Read my build thread and see if I was a 'Jew', as you so bluntly put it, when I laid out the loot I did for the parts, and I bought a shitload of parts for nearly every major system on this biatch. I didn't do shit half-assed like some of the Ghetto mofo's do around r3v.

We both have M42's so we both know how much it costs to do things right....
              -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Don't take asschugz seriously. He's just a naughty troll.

-NICK

Comment

Yeah, I can't take anybody with pink wheels seriously anyway.

And this exhaust issue is a good excuse to buy a welder.

Comment

Working...
                  X